quantity vs quality

heretec

the never ending comprimise...

in this case, i'm talking about recording channels.

i don't use a mixer. i've currently got 6 hard instruments and 1 mic pre coming into the 8 analog channels of my motu 2408mk3, and i do all my mixing inside the computer.

because some of my synths are multi-timbral, i end up recording in multiple takes, so i can use different compression and eq settings for each voice. this is time consuming and makes it hard to go back and change things. i'd really like to be able to tweak more channels at once.

i'd also like to get the best analog to digital conversion i can.

but, obviously, to get more channels, and higher quality at the same time would cost a lot. i don't think i can swing a pro-tools setup.

i've been considering either adding a motu 192hd to my system, or possibly getting a mackie 1604 plus a 2 channel apogee converter.

anybody have experience with these, or thoughts on the subject?

cheers

heretec said:
i've been considering either adding a motu 192hd to my system, or possibly getting a mackie 1604 plus a 2 channel apogee converter.

The Apogee stuff is great. However, as soon as you route through the Mackie you will defeat the whole purpose of purchasing high-end converters.
Ideally, you want to run from a good preamp to a good converter. And doing so costs money.
The MOTU converters aren't the best, but they're pretty damn good.
The 192 might be a good move. But I think the Apogee might not be you wisest purchase at this stage.
Good luck with your hard decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the input.

i wish i could afford an apogee and a mackie 32/8, but alas, not until after i'm a rock star. :)

i'll keep looking at the hd192 then...

Back