Put stuff on top of monitors?

tiyotsu

nighthawk
Hey,

I just wondered if it affects the sound in any negative way when I put stuff on top of my monitors? I'm thinking about solid things like stones and sculptures, not stuff that could move or vibrate.
Couldn't really find any info about this.

I'd avoid putting anything on top of your monitors. The cabinets are designed to resonate, and if the manufacturer wants them to resonate less, they build them thicker and with denser materials.

But it is super important to decouple monitors from your desk. When they sit directly on the desk (or another piece of furniture), the desk vibrates in sympathy with the monitors and inadvertently becomes its own speaker, adding small amounts of bass and low mids. It mucks things up, making the music sound mushier than it should. MoPads help. Putting your monitors on dedicated stands behind your desk helps even more. Even cheap stands from Amazon. Things just sound clearer.

Hmm, I'd be careful with a heavy object like a sculpture, just doesn't sound healthy for them. But my M-Box rests on one of mine.. I don't seem to have any problems. But like mentioned above, I would get a pair of stands and put them in a perfect triangular prism shape (you being the 1 side of the prism, of course!) You can get a cheap pair at Guitar Center for 99.00 I believe (the pro-line brand) though they are kind of wobbly, they get the job done! I just wouldn't have your cat or dog playing by them! XD

Don't go overboard with heavy stuff, but other than that - there shouldn't be any problems. Also try not to disturb the shape of the front baffle by putting stuff which hangs over the edge or elongates the baffle upwards.

Never put anything on your monitors unless you want to impact the sound quality. Have isolation pads underneath and nothing on top to get an unaltered sound.

I wouldn't put anything on it that has a lot of weight because you want the monitor to resonate. I also wouldn't put anything on top of them that could possibly scratch the surface when your pushing the monitors. Take care of your equipment and your equipment will take care of you. The only thing on one of my monitors is a specially bboxed copy of the Straight Outta Compton album with an NWA hat in an NWA box. It's super light.

Last edited:
Back