Which Professional Studio Monitors for Mixing And/Or Mastering Hip Hop?

O'mega

I'm looking to buy my first professional monitors set cause I want to learn to mix and master.
I got a 1500-2000$ budget.
I'm aiming for the neumann kh 120 but would like to hear your opinions if there is a better choice for hiphop style.
I have approx. a 10 X 12 room that I will calibrate and use only for music production.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I wouldn't limit yourself to speakers to be used "only for hip hop" production, even if you currently feel that's the only genre you'll ever work in. Just get good speakers that reproduce music well, and have good reference music to listen to on them so you get to know them well, which will really help your mixing. I'm sure that the KH 120's would be fine, as would many other choices. I'd stay far, far away from KRK's though...

GJ

Last edited:
Yamaha MSP10 Studios...so far my favorite monitors. I've worked on Genelecs, Adams, Meyers, Wharfdales, and Krks...the MSP10 Studios and my NS10m Studios help me really hear transients, very clear mid range. I have my MSP10s paired with a JBL LSR310S subwoofer. To me, if you're making beats...or doing anything with low bass...a sub is a must. I also have a crap load of acoustic treatment I built myself with Roxul 60 and Roxul SnS.

- Kimo The Beatmaker

I'm not going to get into the "sub vs. no sub" debate; just remember, a good portion of your audience will not be listening with a sub, so you have to mix for those simply listening in traditional stereo and mono as well...

GJ

^^^
He is right. Most people listen off their laptop/computer speakers, tv, or iphone. But for the ones who do have cars with systems, or houses with systems, or wear headphones with a great low end response, then you'll want a sub.

The trick is to not get sucked into over compensating, so I got mine turned down real low. It's there to let me hear what my mains can't, the information below 80hz at a more even level.

I got microlab 5.1 speakers, some 20 dollar earphones and car sub. I do the test on them 3 if Im not sure about something.
But in the time You will automaticly know how it should sound without any tests. :)

You will still want to check mix translation on a variety of speakers. What we "know" can become confused by what we think we hear...

GJ

Thanks for your answers guys. But nobody said anything about the neumann kh 120. And all the monitors you told me about are half way the price of what I was looking for..... And I thought my room was to small for a sub. 12 X 10. Even with absorption... But I think I will go with the yamaha HS8 for now and keep them as reference when I'll buy the set of Focal trio 6. I know it's 7000$ for the pair but I'm kind of freak on audio quality.... maybe too much. What do you think? I have seen them in a lot of producers studio videos.... but those guys are living from their talent.

I use the JBLs more because I have their top-of-the-line Syncros S700 headphones (now discontinued), which efficiently translates to the monitors. I could start at any source and not lose the perceivable balance of my mix. That is a real time saver and allows me to work abroad with headphones more. The Yamaha HS8 is a general safe zone in the near-field monitor market.

As for the Focals, they sound great, but an owner I know recommend to use a dedicated sub with the crossover at 60Hz. He also doesn't seem very happy for the amount spent. I don't like using sub units for anything other than casual listening.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I'll list some monitor brands. I use presonus eris 5 inchers mahself.
Presonus
JBL
Vega
KRK
Yamaha
Mackie
Klipsch

if you go the expensive route, genelecs.

Last edited:
Good luck with picking the pair you want!

but IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING OUT -----> and don't have a professional point of view on how to treat your room, you really shouldn't pay that Mich for a speaker. I'd spend cash on a lower tier speaker, and concentrate on the required acoustic treatment for your room mode. Good acoustic treatment can be as expensive (Even more expensive) as a great speaker, and is in my opinion crucial when the speakers best possible performance is expected.

I know you might already have a hold of your room acoustics, but I think its a mistake alot of people make when starting out with mixing - buy expensive speakers without having a proper listening environment

Last edited:
interesting post. I would say that among the speakers I've used, genelecs gives imo the most realistic sound, showcasing the most frequencies.

I already used HS50M and they're pretty good, but I switched with a producer friend with KRK Rokits 8'' from G2 and the most difference was with highs, I feel the highs from KRK are smoother, more pleasant, but Yamaha is top, I like this brand too. I am very happy with my KRK Rokit 8'' pair.

I think it'd be useful if ogbama's question get's answered

Low pricing:
jbl 308, mackie mr8, tannoy reveal 802, focal alpha

KRK v8 , 700 a piece
presonus sceptre s8, 639
eve audio
a few i like

I've been using the Genelec M040s for a few years (around $1600 for the pair), in not-so-great rooms - they're purpose built for this (in the form of EQing options made for battling troublesome speaker placement, like on a table and/or close to a wall, as is often the case). Not that they somehow magically negate the need for treatment, but I guess they're more suited for this kind of home studio setup. SOS review here: Genelec M040 |

Back