Post pictures of your studio!

• Thread starter josheldominicano
  • Start date
neeeeever ever put a chair in a booth makes the rappers lazy lol

Last edited by a moderator:
MASSIVE Mastering said:
Oh, I would've loved to be riding my motorcycle into the sunset today... No dice. Had to tech Rosanne Cash all day. Good show, she's cool and all, but what a long freakin' day...

Absolutely on the color scheme. I gave that a LOT of thought. I spend anywhere between 40 and 70 hours a week in here. Paint, cloth swatches (for the custom maroon traps), lighting (very critical) -- The wood was somewhat of a happy afterthought. I was trying to stay within a budget -- I *wanted* the cedar planking, but when I priced it out, if came to around $750 or so. The contractor said "Yeah, it's $750, but it's going to cut around $550 in labor off the bill" (repeated mudding, sanding, precision cutting, flanges, painting, etc.). So at a net of around $200, I went with the wood.

I know, I know... It's stupid - I have no problem dropping $5k on a compressor, but I don't want to part with $750 if it isn't going to help something sound better. But I was lucky to have a good contractor who gave a [SELF-CENSORED] about the space and knew that cutting a few corners to save a few bucks isn't going to make me happy in the long run - and he was right. "Penny-wise and pound foolish" -- I'm glad some of those corners didn't get cut. If I don't enjoy the room, I'm not going to enjoy being in the room. Over time, I'm not going to enjoy the job. That's not acceptable.

The blue lights (there's one under each of the 802's) are just these cheesy little LED arrays I found in some catalog for around $8 each. I ordered two of them (as my wife was placing an order for some stuff) thinking I could use them somewhere.

Good thing -- During the finishing of the design phase, we realized that I wasn't going to be able to / didn't want to have the main dimmers near the door -- (A) Too far away to reach easily from the desk area - and (B) it would've limited being able to trap that area. So, those LED arrays are on constantly as "night lights" so I can make my way from the door to those light switches when I'm powering up for the day. They cast a mellow blue glow across the floor, but once the lights are on, you don't even notice it.

But long story short (I know, too late), it was designed for (1) mechanical and physical efficiency, (2) low transmission of and heavy absorption of low end and (3) just plain comfort over the long haul.

I like to think of it as "Modern Rustic" --

If you dønt mind my asking, what are the dimensions in that room, and also, what kind of lighting did you end up going with?

The "rough" measurements (as everything is slightly angled) is a little over 10x18x8h. Yes, it's too darn small (but that's why I consulted with so many acoustical gurus about the final specs - and those consultations were worth every penny and then some).

Lighting is just standard line-voltage track with the "nice" Lutron repeatable dimmer modules. The lighting is on its own leg, as is the mains amp and the gear. Digital gear is isolated behind UPS units on the same leg as the analog chain.

Sorry - Side-tracked there...

Lamps are a mixture of flood and spot GU10's. Floods over the desk, spots on he front, floods over the client's seating, spots on the data rack and two-track.

ive said it before, but i'll say it again - it's what noah's ark would look like if it had a mastering facility installed.

pict0010pm1.jpg

ditched the hdx for another 1200.

DonaldCrunk said:
ive said it before, but i'll say it again - it's what noah's ark would look like if it had a mastering facility installed.
But wouldn't I need two of everything?

Okay... It's a stereo rig... I guess that counts.

??? :monkey:

Meyagi said:
Im not on ya'll level yet, but imma get there one day........I built this desk myself, before all the "where you get that desk at?" questions

26August2007010.jpg

Nice set-up. Why do you have those KRK's on their side though?

Ray_Chappell said:

To tell you the truth, I have no idea. I might have thought it looked better like that at one point in time, and just left em like that.

Meyagi said:
To tell you the truth, I have no idea. I might have thought it looked better like that at one point in time, and just left em like that.
Do u think the low end on those is too much for a small bedroom.

Measurements:

10l x 9w x 9h

Yea, im in England, they have small ass houses here, with small rooms. I have a 4 bedroom, and its still kinda small, compared to what im used to back in the states though.

The room I have is 5'3 L x 3'6 W, not very big at all, but it does the job, compared to all the smaller houses I have seen here.

Ray_Chappell said:

i think because of the frequency range, obviously the lows go anywhere while the mids have a more specific range, so you want to point it to your ears.

correct me if im wrong tho.

Last edited:
Meyagi said:
Yea, im in England, they have small ass houses here, with small rooms. I have a 4 bedroom, and its still kinda small, compared to what im used to back in the states though.

The room I have is 5'3 L x 3'6 W, not very big at all, but it does the job, compared to all the smaller houses I have seen here.

lol you make it sound like we live in tiny ass houses. My room must be 3 or 4 times the size of that. And I live in an old Victorian house converted into apartments.

Back