Poor Man's Studio: Is this Desktop good enough to act as a workstation?

Dynysty

Hi all, just saving up to build a small, personal home studio and it's slow going. There's much to buy, but I'm wondering if I can get by with a computer of these specs. Will they be able to run Logic/Reason, and my VST soundbanks from EastWest/Superior Drummer and such? I don't need to run them all at the same time, I would just like to be able to create a professional finished product, if possible.

4.20 GHZ Quad Core Intel i7-7700k
32GB DD4 3000MHz RAM
[FONT=&quot]ASUS PRIME Z270-P (Intel Z270 Chipset)[/FONT]
1 TB SSD
[FONT=&quot]Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

I think that's all the relevant info. Any help is appreciated. Happy music making :)

[/FONT]

Reason is very cpu friendly.
There's more then enough ram to bash away quite some instruments. I run 16 gigs and I practically never run out of tbh.
The sound card will work but it'll have it's flaws. There's a difficult thing about cranking up the bitrate to beat latency issues. Something noticeable with playing instruments. Might be you'll need to do that with your sound card. Also, asio4all would be a good one to download. Don't think your soundblaster has native asio support. Might be good to invest in a production AI like for example the focusrite scarlett is a bit the go to atm for budget AIs that do a nice job. But, if you have nothing else, it'll work!

Reason is very cpu friendly.
There's a difficult thing about cranking up the bitrate to beat latency issues. Something noticeable with playing instruments. Might be you'll need to do that with your sound card. Also, asio4all would be a good one to download. Don't think your soundblaster has native asio support. Might be good to invest in a production AI like for example the focusrite scarlett is a bit the go to atm for budget AIs that do a nice job. But, if you have nothing else, it'll work!

Was going to say don't forget to download the asio4all driver and use that as your i/o driver. It's like the standard for software studios... otherwise you'll get really crappy, practically unusable latency and that's no fun :o

Last edited:
That machine is considerably higher spec than mine - I would look for an alternative soundcard though.

Back