[Pics + Vids] Few questions I have for proofing and treatment!

Drange

Artist
:hello:Hello everyone! It's been a good few years since I've posted anything on this site, I'm hoping to become more than acquainted with it again in the upcoming years. :cool:

I'm a musician, more specifically a rapper, and it has long been my dream of mine to reach heaven by making a living off entertaining and my creative 'ventures! A.k.a. "Things I love!~" :angel: In order to share the love, I aim to make quite more than a living actually... :bigeyes:

Anyways, I simply adore writing! - I'm a lyricist at heart, and a vocalist second! I play the piano and am determined to pick my 88-key midi keyboard back up again and resume my piano lessons and progression!~ Becoming more ambidextrous has always been something I strive for! - Just another reason to play the piano!~ :D

I'm 23 now, I thought I would be farther in life by now, yet my skills are impeccable, I'm restless, and filled with potential! At 18 years young I decided to live this life no matter what. Nothing has changed, but like everyone around me - I'm wondering where my music is!~~:o

I spent 3-4 years developing my craft, trying to find studio space late 2011-Dec 2015! - Finally, a godsend, after 3 failed attempts at places / spaces!~... - My stepdad, who is an exceptional handyman to say the least, built this awesome room that I now use as a bedroom studio space!~ I financed most of the construction materials, however, for the labor and happening, I am eternally grateful!~ It's a miracle I'm currently in this room, no doubt!~ During the year of 2016, I was intoxicated with the ability to stream and sing during all hours of the day!~ I spent that year becoming popular on twitch.tv (which provided me income), planning my future, especially musically, and dating women!~ I stopped streaming heavily in order to become established as an artist by releasing my first music project, "In The Rough!" :D Winner.png
As for 2017...This past year has been an excerpt from HELL!~ :bat: More accurately, it has been - what I hope - will be: "The worst year I've ever experienced in my life!" :rolleyes:

What I mean is, some unforeseen issues in my life cost me valuable time, money, and resources, throwing me behind schedule. Financially, socially, professionally... I lost some gear due to someone...I won't name names... I suppose it is my fault for letting it get to this point just as much as anyone who imposed upon it I suppose!~ :shame:

I am currently unemployed and going job hunting next month, I recently stopped blazing THC...due to the fact I am lean It will take around 30 days to leave my system completely. Must I? :rolleyes:
Vaping is my preferred method...my vaporizer charger among some of the gear was sabotaged... :(I digress... :offtopic:
Despite how some of this background info may seem like complaining... I'm not here to make excuses!~ - I'm here to move forward!!~ - I need my victory!!!~ :victory: Whatever it takes - I'm ready!~
While I was living out a chapter from hell and dealing with it's obstacles, I decided to split my mixtape into two parts, in order to provide my patient fans with some content!
Thus, the no-feature mixtape "In the Rough, Part 1," was born! Almost a month ago now I finished my "In the Rough, Part 1" mixtape!... At least, lyrically!~...:)

All that there is left to do before releasing my first mixtape to the public, establishing myself as an artist / rapper, and forevermore living a more stable, enjoyable, and beautiful life... Is to mix and master said project!~ (Or finish it...):bigeyes:
I have recorded every song (More than one take for each section/song), and have attempted to edit, mix, and master, most of the tracks! (6 songs, each varying from 2~7 minutes long; not including the intro, outro, or skits!) I also have a bunch of social media ready to post at the push of a button!~ (Facebook page, soundcloud, datpiff, twitter, youtube, etc.);)

I still have a few skits to record, the outro, and some most likely - some verses I want to do again, etc.

Yours truly... Excitement-filled, enthusiastic, and naive - may have stirred some doubt among my fan base by voicing some goals that I have had,that were in retrospect, too high! Lol. After dropping this first project I'll never again talk of dropping anything until they're completely done. I hope to remedy all and begin anew, stronger, forevermore with the release of this project! Given an hour, I end up mixing and mastering for 20 minutes and then writing for 40 minutes! It's clear what I prefer, I've always been the type to choose a specialty and pour time into it... Jack of all trades, master of none?... No thank you! Regardless, I will finish my attempt at editing, mixing, and mastering myself to the best of my ability and release "In the Rough, Part 1," within the first two weeks of September regardless! My soul needs this to be done and complete! To walk outside claiming, undeniably, to be a rapper, with a project available for listening is my next milestone and long overdue!~

All the people that are connected to me are anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Questioning me basically. :4theloveofgod: *Laughs lightly*

There has been some unforeseen company surrounding my studio space ever since January of this year....:sigh:
My grandma has been visiting in the room next door that I show in the video, since the beginning of this month... She is leaving around Sep. ~10th. - There have been too many times I've involuntarily kept the noise level down for my family's convenience, or to ease my guilty conscience!~ Which I aim to alleviate by improving the acoustics in my echo-heavy room!~ :(

I really want this first project to be out or "damn-near close to being out" by ~Sep 16th! ;) I will do whatever it takes on my part!!!~ :victory: I would happily welcome some feedback, help, or assistance / collaboration from any experienced audio engineers concerning: The acoustics of my room!~ :o - And possibly: Help or insight with editing, mixing, and mastering my "In the Rough, Part 1" mixtape!~ :cheers:

Here is my attempt at editing, mixing, and mastering the intro song "Living My Dream!" This may not be the final version, but I did want to showcase my skills a little, especially for people interested in collaborating! I have 6 songs done lyrically for my "In The Rough, Part 1" mixtape, spare editing, mixing, and mastering! The duration's of the song are:

1. 2:05
Living My Dream by D-Range | D Range | Free Listening on SoundCloud
2. 4:31
3. 3:41
4. 4:14
5. 6:38
6. 5:26

A "Thank you!" - In advance, to anyone who could please use the items listed, shown, and mentioned: (Blankets?! Blankets everywhere!!!) to give feedback or answer to my "5 questions!"

Video of Studio Space and some items:

• My room is 14-16ft. l x w x h. (15ft. x 15ft. x 15ft.) - Very much a square, however, the room does slightly slant!!! - Decreasing in height starting from the opposite side of my grandma's door. The height of the room is smallest on the side of the room that my grandma is in!~
  • The flooring is vinyl. Concrete is underneath.

Gear / Equipment / Items:

https://files.fm/f/zcxf5665

Computer Specs:

Music Gear:

• Microphone: Audio Technica 2050 Multiple pattern Capacitor Microphone, Condenser Microphone. (With low cut and -10Db Pad)
  • sE Reflexion Filter PRO
  • Mic Stand: Atlas Sound Air Susp Pro Mic Stand, Chr/Bk
  • Pre-Amp: Avid Mbox Mini - 2nd Generation 2x2 Interface (Came with Pro Tools Express, which is incompatible with Window computers!)
  • Microphone to pre-amp cable: Pro Co 20' XLRF-XLRM Cable; Dynamike 2245, Made in USA
  • Pop-Filter
  • Headphone Adapter: Shure Locking 1/4" (Headphone to pre-amp, for recording / streaming as to not echo potential instrumental tracks / music - This one has a TWIST connection)
  • Headphone Adapter: Hosa GPM-103 3.5 mm TRS to 1/4inch TRS Adaptor (Allows headphones to connect to headphone socket on pre-am, for no-echo or self-monitoring when recording, streaming, etc. This adapter allows headphones to connect with a CLICK, rather than a twist.)
  • Monitors: 2x KRK VXT 6... [PICS]
  • Monitor to Pre-Amp Cables: 2x NEGLEX 2534 MICROPHONE 5" CABLE, MOGAMI, Made in JAPAN
  • Monitor to Pre-Amp Cables: 2x Seismic Audio - SATRXL-M10 - Red 10' XLR Male to 1/4' TRS Patch Cable. (Additional Monitor[speaker] to pre-amp cables, 10 FT.)

My 5 questions are:

1. What would be the ideal setup in order to best mix and master music?

• [*=left]Unused Mic, where to place it and the equipped reflexion shield within the room?
    [*=left]Desk Placement in the room and what desk to use. (The glass one, I'm guessing? - which cannot be folded!)
    [*=left]1 or 2 computer screen on a desk? If I place both on any desk, while attempting to arrange my two speaker monitors on the same desk, it results in the soundwaves being blocked due to the close proximity of computer monitors. Would you recommend placing the monitors elsewhere allowing me double monitors? Or simply to switch to 1 monitor when mixing and mastering?
    [*=left]Placement of 5 sound absorbtion foams
    [*=left]Placement of everything else? IE: Bed, dresser, pvc pipe greenscreen, 1 cardboard box filled with items, a microwave, and a laundry basket which is either empty or full of dirty clothes at any given time...
  • Once again, should blankets already be assumed to be hanging on all walls, the ceiling, and "carpeting" the floor?

[I will upload a video soon showing what I suspect is the best setup I could have for mixing and mastering]

2. What would be the ideal setup for recording vocals for a song? (Singing and rapping, while standing)

• Mic placement in the room? With reflextion shield!~
  • What desk to use? - And where to put it?
  • Placement of 5 sound absorbtion foams?
  • What, if anything else, should be on the desk along with 2 computer screens and my pre-amp?
    [*=left]Placement of everything else? IE: Bed, dresser, pvc pipe greenscreen, 1 cardboard box filled with items, a microwave, and a laundry basket which is either empty or full of dirty clothes at any given time...
  • Once again, should blankets already be assumed to be hanging on all walls, the ceiling, and "carpeting" the floor?

[I will upload a video soon showing what I suspect is the best setup I could have for recording vocals for a song]

3. What would be the ideal setup for vocals while sitting at the computer? (Best listener experience for when streaming, voice communicating, or skyping while I'm sitting!)

• Mic placement in room? It will be at the lowest height possible!~ - With reflexion shield?
  • Desk Placement in the room? What desk to use? Where to put it?
  • Placement of 5 sound absorbtion foams
  • Both computer monitors, mouse, keyboard, and a webcam, on a monitor, must all be on a desk at once.
  • The pre-amp used to power the mic will most likely also be the suggested desk, or at least withiin range to adjust without standing up.
  • I like a trash can next to me to spit, throw stuff away.
  • I want the greenscreen behind me! Either by being hung as shown on pvc pipe, or postered to a wall that the camera will be facing!
  • I also like water bottles, tissue paper, and chapstick to be on my desk while playing! (We gettin' intricate here! :bigeyes:)
  • Placement of everything else. IE: Bed, dresser, 1 cardboard box filled with items, microwave, a laundry basket [Empty and full of dirty clothes at times]... (Once again, should blankets already be assumed to be hanging on all walls, the ceiling, and "carpeting" the floor?)

4. What would be the ideal setup for vocals while standing at the dresser? (Best listener experience for when streaming, voice communicating, or skyping while I'm standing!)

• Mic placement in room. With reflexion shield?
  • Dresser Placement in the room, where to place other desks, glass desk cannot be folded.
  • Placement of 5 sound absorbtion foams
  • Both computer monitors, mouse, keyboard, and webcam on a monitor must all be on the dresser desk.
  • The pre-amp used to power the mic will most likely also be on the dresser, or somewhere very close, could I use another desk nearby or my bed? Once again, the glass desk cannot be folded. Which would be best?
  • I like a trashcan next to me to spit and throw stuff away.
  • I want the greenscreen behind me! Either by being hung as shown on pvc pipe, or postered to a wall that my back and the camera will be facing!
  • I also like water bottles, tissue paper, and chapstick to be on my desk while playing! I'll settle for near me again, desk or bed.
  • Placement of everything else. IE: Bed, unused desks, 1 cardboard box filled with items, microwave, a laundry basket [Empty and full of dirty clothes at times]...(Once again, should blankets already be assumed to be hanging on all walls, the ceiling, and "carpeting" the floor?)

[I will upload a video soon showing what I suspect is the best setup I could have for streaming while standing up.]

5. What would be the ideal setup for a casual listening experience in this room? (Really 2 questions!)

A) For example, where would I put my bed, desk(with computer screen on it), and speaker monitors relative to the room, and all other items, if I wanted to watch shows alone from the bed?

B) How about if I had 5-6 people in the room? All facing one way, in order to watch a show? (Viewing party!)

• [*=center]3 people on the bed shown - with stools / "APlaceToRestTheirFeet" in front of them.

• [*=center]2-3 people in the 2-3 chairs above shown in the video, placed above and below each side of the bed

• [*=left]Where to place unused mic, and reflexion shield within the room.
    [*=left]What desk to use and where to place it relative to the room. (Glass desk, I'm guessing! - As a reminder, it cannot be folded!)
    [*=left]Where I should place my 2 SPEAKERS if not on the desk beside the COMP MONITOR on the desk?
    [*=left]Should I place my 2 SPEAKERS beside my chosen computer monitor when on top of my dresser?
    [*=left]Placement of my 5 sound absorbtion foams.
    [*=left]Placement of everything else. IE: Bed, pvc pipe greenscreen, 1 cardboard box filled with items, a microwave, and a laundry basket which is either empty or full of dirty clothes at any given time... Additionally, 1 computers screen and the dresser/glassdesk when alternative is used!~
    [*=left]Should blankets already be assumed to be hanging on all walls, the ceiling, and "carpeting" the floor?

[I will soon upload a video soon showing what I suspect is the best setup I could have for a viewing party!]

Additionally, will also be creating another post in a minute under "Collaborating / Mixing and mastering" looking for a possible audio engineer to help me drive my first mixtape to the finish line as professionally as possible! This information will most likely be useful for any potential collaborators anyways!~ As stated, I do not currently have income or money to throw at one, however, after releasing my mixtape I am hoping to stream daily - or at least - much more consistently on twitch.tv/thedrange (League of Legends, simultaneously advertising for my music and collecting tips / donations.) I would of course, mention whoever helps me in the short and exclusive shout-out track that will acccompany this first body of work I'm releasing!~ I want to start doing shows / concerts showcasing my skills and making a name as an emcee using the songs on this mixtape if it would be in good taste!~

More options will open up for me progress daily, upgrade my studio, and seek income by performing potential concerts, streaming daily again, and acquiring a new day job!~ :victory:

After releasing i'm hoping a schedule similar to what I had last year: VoX Exercises in the morning... (I pray for the day I can start immediately when waking up, continuing in the shower, all the way through to the kitchen and to my desk!~ Haha!) Showering, breakfast, piano, working out, writing, free-styling / additional recording, [editing and mixing and mastering if I truly undertake becoming an audio engineer,] lunch while watching something, maybe some socializing, networking, graphic art, errands, streaming league of legends for 1-4 hours... (Maybe alternating days of stream), anything I choose, and then dinner, shower, and sleep!~ Making daily progress in all chosen crafts, and incorporating a day-job asap!... Granted I don't make enough to sustain this envisioned lifestyle!~ :rolleyes:

I'm already deep into the feature heavy, "In The Rough, Part 2!" ;)
Another project titled, "Self-Mastery" has impatiently begun to write itself as well!~ :victory:

Last edited:
ALRIGHT!~ Time is running out!~ COME ON FUTUREPRODUCERS.COM!!! I am about to take matters into my own hands!~ On Wednesday morning my folks and I are going to empty out or storage unit and sort through it, clean it, and probably allow me to provide storage space while gaining sound treatment.

Here's a picture of what's in said storage:

Storage.jpeg

Since no one has responded, and I admittedly, may have been asking for a lot of feedback. Does anyone have any input on where to put the items relevant to the room?
Also, SHOULD I PUT BLANKETS ON THE FLOOR, WALLS, AND CEILING?!
BLANKETS UNDER THE BOXES? Near the walls behind where future boxes will be? Should boxes be pressed up or a little spaced from wall?

I have been testing acoustic setups on my own and I'm sure I will find the best positions. I'm also about to undertake Editing, Mixing, and Mastering once again - especially if I don't get any replies regarding collaborating by Sep. 10th!~ Thank you for your time everyone!~

Hi! I'm going to give you a few friendly pointers on how to construct a forum post, because frankly that's the biggest reason why there are no answers.

1) To put it bluntly, the stuff that's important to you isn't necessarily important at all to random folks on the forums - that might still be able to help you out. Your personal journey is just that - if you want to share that, it's fine, but if the meat of the post is about specific technical questions, then get to the point.

2) Try to include the necessary information in relation to your questions, but don't over-include - we don't need to know what kind of ethernet cables you're using for your monitors in order to make suggestions on mic placement.

3) You're asking (almost the same question five times, I understand that they're different situations, but still...) about how to organize your room. I don't want to watch seven minutes of shaky-cam trying to figure out where your stuff is - provide a simple top-down diagram instead.

So...well, I still don't really know what your room looks like. But in general, cube-shaped (ie. same dimensions repeat throughout) are tricky, since reflections tend to multiply. The slant is good, because it makes the room shape more irregular. Blankets etc. everywhere are good. In non-treated rooms, having the mic in the middle (if it's a bit bigger) or in a corner, but singing/rapping away from it is a good idea.

Regarding monitor positioning – the glass table will probably resonate if they're directly on it. I wouldn't use that at all if possible, but if that's not feasible, use some kind of absorbers (look up "monitor isolation pads" - they're basically rubber and/or foam pads that go under your monitors absorb the physical vibrations of the speakers & decouple them from the hard surface they're on). The monitors should be on the level of your ears (or if they're higher or lower, angled at pointing at your ear level), positioned at an equilateral triangle, the third point being you. Check the pic.

monitorplacement-01.jpg

Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you for your response!~ I appreciate your feedback! ^^ May I just state that now: (sound treatment > sound proofing).

1) I know the beginning of the post was arguably off-topic. I realized that. I simply wanted to maybe inspire or catch the ear of an experienced audio engineer!~ Alas, I apologize for wasting your time with extraneous info.

2) Never did I ask you to relate cord placement and mic placement. I was simply wary for "electronic interference." Forgive me if that's the incorrect terminology. In any case, maybe if someone used a wire I have, or uses a wire and realizes something about them, etc. It's probably nothing, nevertheless, better safe than sorry - A thorough perfectionist I remain....

I've grown used to a certain streaming setup, but still feel acoustics can be improved. I still haven't went to the storage with my folks or draped blankets on the walls. Alright, I shall nail / hang blankets on all 4 walls.
What do you think about putting blanket(s) on the floor? Unnecessary?
...How about the ceiling? Overkill and unnecessary? Hahaha! lmao I'll have to reupload video(s) on my setups after taking your advice into consideration! Thank you again! :cheers:

3) Regarding basically asking the same question 5 times... Hey, if someone has any insight, feel free to respond to anything. I understand at times I can be overwhelmingly enthusiastic to put it kindly. (That fiery aries zodiac!) Sorry about the video quality. I don't usually do stuff like this, but I'm confident I'd make a better video next time. I've also resumed vocal exercises which is crucial to my speech, and I feel, my collectedness / being.

So...well, I still don't really know what your room looks like. But in general, cube-shaped (ie. same dimensions repeat throughout) are tricky, since reflections tend to multiply. The slant is good, because it makes the room shape more irregular. Blankets etc. everywhere are good. In non-treated rooms, having the mic in the middle (if it's a bit bigger) or in a corner, but singing/rapping away from it is a good idea.

My room is basically a cube, the slight slant is insignificant - assumed to be non-existent to an outsider. (Anyone who hasn't lived in here, perhaps even then, one may not notice.) My mic is currently Almost in the middle of the room - I'll upload new videos next week at the latest.

Confirm this for me? If knowledgeable and willing:
It's in good practice when recording be between the mic and the nearest wall/corner. Right? As opposed to the inverse which is "wrong": speaking into the mic with the nearest wall behind the mic you're recording into.

Regarding monitor positioning – the glass table will probably resonate if they're directly on it. I wouldn't use that at all if possible, but if that's not feasible, use some kind of absorbers (look up "monitor isolation pads" - they're basically rubber and/or foam pads that go under your monitors absorb the physical vibrations of the speakers & decouple them from the hard surface they're on). The monitors should be on the level of your ears (or if they're higher or lower, angled at pointing at your ear level), positioned at an equilateral triangle, the third point being you. Check the pic.

Thank you! Your most practical/useful advice ;) - I've been using the glass table for some time now! However!~ After your suggestion, I actually do believe the sound quality diminishes when on the glass table! I'll try out a few other options, and look into monitor isolation pads asap - I'm familiar with them, just never realized just how necessary they are - at least in my scenario. I'm familiar with the equilateral triangle positioning with monitors. Is there an ideal length to have them? (I think, maybe, I heard something about 3 feet each side??? - I'll look into this a bit myself.) Otherwise, I'll just work with whatever is equal and convenient I suppose. ^^;;

Thank you for your post!!~ I'll respond more as the weekdays come upon us! Wishing you the best Krushing!~ :cool:

Last edited:
Back