Pa monitoring suggestion

airbag76

Hi

My present configuration is:

a. a rather square room about 4x4m
b. a basic pc, display, pair of speakers left - right for mixing (passive spirit absolute 2, 6.5") set up
c. a synth placed on my back (50-60cm) and a quite off center (my desk is Π shaped with my pc on right vertical and the synth on the left).

the synth goes to a mixing console then via direct out to soundcard.

My problem is that while its a quite nice config for mixing purposes, working with my synth (most of the time my pc is off) through those monitors

a. sucks cause I am 100% outside of any triangle shaped configuration so the slightest move of my head changes the sound and phase cancellation is massive
b. i m working with very low freq so by increasing the volume my monitors start to pump like crazy and i m sure soon would be off.

I wonder whats the way through here, buying one active speaker with good low end response (my budget is max 300 euros) just for synth monitoring or buy new bigger speakers and then change their position
whenever working with the synth? few years ago I was surprised watching my fav artist Eliane Radigue in her home studio (arp 2500) and one spirit absolute 2 speaker for monitoring. So whats the issues here
are my speakers ok for low freq or not?

thanks

Hi there,

A few suggestions. If your primary instrument/input device is the synth, can you move it's position (or get another stand, or something with tiered shelves) to put it more in the center/mix position? What about treating the room acoustically before you go off buying a bunch more monitoring gear? You certainly can get a powered speaker or set-up a number of monitoring options (what about headphones, btw?), but I'm sure you're aware that a square room is not the best possible situation for you, and if that's the only room you have available, that you will need to make some modifications to the space via acoustic treatment to get things sounding optimal. I'd do that first before buying additional monitors, if it was me.

GJ

yeah, room treatment especially as you say you are in a box that means that fundamental resonance of the room, ca. 43Hz, is being amplified by 6db

applying good basstraps to your corners and some diffusers and absorbers on the walls will help.

then address your physical set-up to remove the issues you mention - maybe even consider something different like building your own desk with a pull tray that the keyboards sits on at playing height

Hi there,

A few suggestions. If your primary instrument/input device is the synth, can you move it's position (or get another stand, or something with tiered shelves) to put it more in the center/mix position? What about treating the room acoustically before you go off buying a bunch more monitoring gear? You certainly can get a powered speaker or set-up a number of monitoring options (what about headphones, btw?), but I'm sure you're aware that a square room is not the best possible situation for you, and if that's the only room you have available, that you will need to make some modifications to the space via acoustic treatment to get things sounding optimal. I'd do that first before buying additional monitors, if it was me.

GJ

thanks for your reply, well you should agree that in such cases the problem that solves everything is money...
the room, its use (i m lucky that my girlfriend shows understanding) the placement are things that can hardly change. I ve placed a set of absorbing tiles and maybe I have to install some bass traps but mixing was always the point of interest.
I was thinking placing the synth where my screen now stands so as to have the monitors working for it but then what about mixing....?
As you can see its a multi purpose case with limited options and I want to limit the compromises.
Headphones are ok but not for a long time as I get tired. On the other hand with 300 euros you are gonna have a rather good single speaker but a rather bad pair if thats the case...
anyway thanks for your help. I think i need to think for alternate of "buying" options..

Yes, it can be difficult on minimal budget. In the Army, we used to have a saying: "You can have it Good, Quick, or Cheap; pick any two."
Meaning if you want a solution that is optimal, it probably won't also be easily implemented and inexpensive as well!

GJ

Back