Optimize My Mic Setup (Vocals)

MattyJones

I was wondering about recording vocals. I’m newer to this than many of you, I’m sure and I need some practical advice.

I have Pro Tools and Logic set up on my laptop, but I’m recording vocals and that’s where it gets tricky for me.

I have an MXL V250 (relatively cheap, but decent) condenser mic and one of those makeshift boxes with the soundproof foam and not a lot else to work with as far as acoustics go.

Maybe it’s positioning, maybe something else.,

but I know there has to be a better way to optimize this.

audio examples?

hard to guess at what to do to improve your sound without knowing what your sound is to begin with.....:)

audio examples?

hard to guess at what to do to improve your sound without knowing what your sound is to begin with.....:)
Fair enough. Maybe I could put together an example. I can only imagine that there are many others on here with a fairly similar setup and am simply hoping that there might be something fundamental that I might be missing that they could help me with. :)

+1 to what BC said; "blind diagnosis" is probably not the best way to help. A few ideas, however-- Are you using a wind-screen with your mike? What kind of preamp are you using? (Those USB boxes are not always the optimal input device, to say the least)... Also, if you like your MXL, but it's "not quite there yet," there are modifications you can make/have done to your microphone to improve overall response.

GJ

Thanks rhythmgj. Yes, I'm using a wind screen. I also am using an Avid MBox Mini (one of those USB boxes, lol) for a preamp. Not sure about mods though.

Back