New Studio- What to buy?

Mossett

Hey guys, new to the forums, Names Mossett. I've been producing on and off for around 4 years. Currently 18 and will be studying Music Production (Electronic and Urban) at college. I've produced Dubstep/Drum and bass whilst I was around 14 but I have decided that Deep house is the way forward for me due to my love for the genre.

I have invested in a new computer and laptop which will be able to handle everything I throw it. I now need to know what else I will need for a basic set-up or if it's needed at all. I currently do not own a sound card minus the on board one so if possible, could you recommend a good sound card ? I've heard the emu range are excellent but again, have no real life experience with them.

My college has great producing facilities and studios specified for the production of urban and electronic music and I can use this in my out of study times.

The only thing I currently own in regards to music production would be the the desktop I own and the laptop.

I've been looking at the following but unsure as to whether or not I actually need them and if it's overkill.

A Midi keyboard controller - Novation Launchkey has tickled my fancies but it doesn't have a pitch module but does have quite a lot of launchpads. I think most of my music at the minute will be loop trigger based.

Studio monitors for Under £200 a pair, with a good low freq which are also accurate.

Last edited:
if your using your laptop i suggest getting a portable nice sized midi keyboard with at lease 25 keys to get you started in your daw... from there i suggest headphone monitors and when you get really serious you can go for studio monitors and acoustic treatment etc..

Thanks for the reply. I have a desktop computer set up and this computer will be what i'm using for the main aspect of my studies/work. The laptop will be used in free periods in college and also when I don't want to be sat at the desktop computer. I've heard some bad reviews over headsets as they aren't as accurate as studio monitors. I have around £200 for the monitors and i'm happy to buy second hand, so I basically want a shortlist of monitors which I can keep my eye out for.

Could you recommend any midi keyboards at a budget?

I've heard some bad reviews over headsets as they aren't as accurate as studio monitors.

The bad reviews come from people who have put time and money into music,
but aren't approaching their recommendations from a beginner's perspective.

These same people will recommend that you build your own studio on open land,
and fill it with equipment like $10,000 Genelec monitors.

The fact of the matter is:

A good pair of headphones will be more accurate than a budget pair of monitors in a small, untreated room.

You could pick up some Senn 280s -- they're very flat with some unusually nice frequency extension.

UK Link: http://goo.gl/cqK9Os

-Ki
Salem Beats

Indeed, I'll be doing most of my work within a box room so acoustically speaking it's not the best layout. Luckily though I have full access to the studio rooms in college which have high-end hardware. The college encourage the use of their rooms as they want the end product to work on most systems so I suppose that the work could be altered whilst at college in order for the audio to be versatile on a range of systems.

Would you recommend the headphones over studio monitors then as I would also like to be able to hear the audio played out loud at home which is not on a dire sound system? The music I do produce will solely be for studying as I respect the fact I will not have the trained ear and the experience to easily release tracks.

Also, I've found a few studio monitors which do look quite good, but again, I do not fully understand what I'm looking for.

Here is the line up:

Presonus Eris series
Rokit 5 G3
Yamaha HS5

Could you also recommend a decent sound card? I won't be using anything instrument wise at the minute minus a midi if it is needed. I'm unsure as to whether or not a sound card or midi will actually be needed.

Also, I've found a few studio monitors which do look quite good, but again, I do not fully understand what I'm looking for.

Here is the line up:

Presonus Eris series
Rokit 5 G3
Yamaha HS5

Looks like you've got your heart set on getting monitors first.
I'd recommend the Rokits you mentioned over the other two in your list.

If you REALLY want monitors, I suggest finding something to treat your room.

Could you also recommend a decent sound card? I won't be using anything instrument wise at the minute minus a midi if it is needed. I'm unsure as to whether or not a sound card or midi will actually be needed.

You'll want an audio interface (or, as you say, "sound card") even if you're not recording anything.

A professional audio interface will allow you to run a low latency, so that the time between playing and hearing a note is effectively instant.

I recently recommended this one right here in an article I wrote recently about building a studio on a part-time, minimum-wage budget.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Excuse my naivety but wouldn't a low frequency be better in respect of creating house? Or would this not really be noticeable due to them being 'budget monitors'? Also is it best of to go for the accuracy route? The only thing i am keeping in mind is the fact I have the option to use a range of studio monitors and different audio equipment so the ones I own will not need to best but something that will benefit me in my current situation.

I've read mixed opinions on speakers with accuracy being key then others saying that some speakers are the complete opposite end of the spectrum and are great in their on ways. If you know of any links or information about setting up studio/information about them id be grateful. Could you also link me to your budget studio guide?

In regards to sound cards I was thinking of the PCI-E format but if the USB are better I'll have to further research them.

Would you recommend a midi for starting out? I'd like something along the lines of then novation launchkey but would like to compare to other products of the same class.

with monitors you want them to be as flat as possible, period - no emphasis of any one area that you will then need to compensate for with eq or other unnecessary mods to the audio stream

so having heavy bottom end is not good neither is having no bottom end but that is a different kettle of fish entirely: given a choice between those two extremes I would rather have no bottom end than too much; I can always compensate accurately for the former but the latter is always tougher to match up

Well said, thanks for the help guys. Going to get the rokits and a novation midi launchkey.

Not sure if your mind is made up, don't get the rokits. They have no mids, you'll mix a killer bass and high freq but you're going to have no clue what's happening in the middle, especially in a square room you will have guarenteed bass phase cancellations somewhere. If you must have monitors, the Yamaha's were my favourite when I compared them. That was a year ago and models are newer. All I know is rokits are still rokits. Overhyped man.

Unfortunately for budget monitors you will never get an accurate response.

Someone said above check out the sennheiser HD280s, great call. I just got the HD380s and love them as well, bit of a jump in price I believe but either would be an amazing choice!

Considering you have access to the studio it sounds like; headphones will be more than okay. You can and should always check your mixes in the colleges studio as well.

Well that's another who's said go for headphones, I've found the HD380's for £76,but HD280's at more than £80. If i'm going to benefit more from the headphones I may as well purchase them. Also means I can work late at night without worrying about the noise level.

Back