New studio, need help with acoustics

Fumutian

Hello everyone!

I'm about to set up my new studio, but I have some doubts about where I should place my desk and monitors.

I have the JBL lsr 308 monitors, and I bought acoustic foam; 2 bass traps and 16 (30 x 30 cm)

At first I was thinking to place myself straight ahead (like in the picture), but the problem here is that the widt is limited, and I'm planning to upgrade to mid field monitors, and possible a third screen later.
So I won't have space for it along that wall. I also read that it is best (acoustic wise) to place the monitor on the longest walls.

The other options are to place it it on one of the long walls. The problem here is that I will either have one window right in front or behind me, and a door with a window + another window on one of the sides,
which I don't know how I can treat well:hmmm:

Does anybody have any suggestions`? Which of the walls would be best according to acoustics?

Any help apreciated, thanks!

20170719_174634.jpg20170719_173749.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I'm about to set up my new studio, but I have some doubts about where I should place my desk and monitors.

I have the JBL lsr 308 monitors, and I bought acoustic foam; 2 bass traps and 16 (30 x 30 cm)

At first I was thinking to place myself straight ahead (like in the picture), but the problem here is that the widt is limited, and I'm planning to upgrade to mid field monitors, and possible a third screen later.
So I won't have space for it along that wall. I also read that it is best (acoustic wise) to place the monitor on the longest walls.

The other options are to place it it on one of the long walls. The problem here is that I will either have one window right in front or behind me, and a door with a window + another window on one of the sides,
which I don't know how I can treat well:hmmm:

Does anybody have any suggestions`? Which of the walls would be best according to acoustics?

Any help apreciated, thanks!

View attachment 46274View attachment 46272

Obviously the place where you are set up is the most ideal acoustically. If you have to change from that orientation for whatever reason then I would recommend testing in the various positions with something like REW (which is freeware).

However I think another set up is going to be difficult to get acoustically right as the front and back walls would then be very close together.

Acoustic distortions are not just prevented by proper monitor placement alone. Consider how you put your acoustic foam and bass traps on. Try to attack acoustic treatments at your first reflection points. Treating nearby boundaries with early reflection can create a sweet spot around your listening position.

I think the spot in the picture is the best and I would have picked it also.
Windows are not really a trouble, people over saturate it. Just cover them up with some cool looking blankets as curtains and Your cool. :)
Congrats on the new studio man. ;)

01- Contact a very good engineer and acoustic professional, avoiding ones that suggests to full the place with foams;
02- Isolation and treatment, both are important, but different: one will consists in literally isolate the place, without places for the sound to travel; treatment consists in resources in the wall (i.e. bass traps, rock wool...);
03- Buy great cables, I recommend Mogami with Neutrik connectors and for monitors and other stuff AudioQuest cables are good, I use NRG-X3 models with my KRK's and the difference between these cables and normal cables was brutal, with a cleaner sound;
04- For mixing and mastering room, a symmetric relation is the ideal, so more symmetric better;
05- For floor, it appears that vinyl flooring is a good relation between cost and benefit, I can be work, but as I search it's it.
06- Prefer isolation than treatment, if you can't do both right now;
07- Attention with grounding, it is important, the best is the ground-ground standard.

I hope I help in some way.

Thanks again for the help!

I just finished my studio now. All the walls are tick and very well isolated. I bought just the same amount of foam that was recommended for my room size by the brand.
I also placed it after what was recommended. I did not have any tools for testing the room acoustics.

Is there any spesdic types of curtians/material I should look into for doors and windows? I would also like them to soundproof as much as possible as the door and windows are not so thick, and my neighboor lives very close by.

Here is a pic of the studio. I'm not a proffesional at this, but I'm happy with it, and it sounds good.
20170730_211718.jpg

Looks cosy bro. For the windows or doors, the thicker the better in My opinion. Something natural from cotton or wool I think. I have this 3cm thick blanket with wool inside for vocal booth and it works like a charm. :)

Last edited:
if you have a closet, use that for vocals and maybe even a medium sized but loud amp for guitar. ive nailed comforters to my walls for my booth too

Hm.Midfield range monitors in that small room while sittin near at the wall and the monitor speakers directly beside you?hm i dont know.i had the same problem years ago.i bought myself midfield monitor speakers and they were much too close to me.about 50-70cm only.no good sound.i should have bought nearfield range speakers and then you still should have a distance to your speakers.now i am lucky that i have a larger room, so i could place them into the right position,but year ago in my old rooms.your picture just reminds me of these days.
did you already buy some new monitor speakers?

The monitors should be set up in an equilateral triangle with the back of your head.
So for example, if your speakers are five feet from each other, the back of your head should be positioned five feet from each monitor.
Have the monitors angled towards you.

Also do not put them against the wall, it will affect the sound.
The best possible positioning is having the center point of the triangle be in the middle of the room you're set up in.
Maybe invest in some acoustic foam, too.

This is all from the book, 'the mixing engineer's handbook'. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a wooden sound diffuser on the wall? I would like to build one myself. There a plenty of educational videos on youtube about it. I don't know if this was the right place to ask about this but I think this goes with acoustics. :)

Back