New studio build

dannyrowbotham

Hey guys,

I've just bin given the chance to move my studio out of my bedroom and into my attic conversion...

The room is an absolutley perfect size and shape for me but the walls are just (partition) plasterboard and then plastered over and painted. (Apart from the wall my desk and speakers would be at which is the end of the house so its a brickwall). Would this ever be ok sound quality wise? I have 24 2ftx2ft auralex tiles and 8 2ft bass traps to put up and would be willing to put anything else up if need be like diffusers etc.

What worries me that there is a really small reverb when I clap my hands in the room and I was just wondering if any of you thought I would be able to get this room sounding like a professional studio for making/mixing dance music with the correct treatment in the right places or is it a non starter because of the walls? I hope it is suitable because like I said it really is an ideal space for me to move into.

I just want it to be good enough for my mixdowns to translate as well as possible onto other systems. My family is understanding so I'm lucky enough not to have to worry about sound proofing.

As I said it will only be for dance music so I wont really have to record any instruments or vocals etc. I would pay to rent a proper studio if I did.

Thanks, would be great to hear your opinions on this!

Best wishes,
Dan

it is good that you do not have to worry about soundproofing as you would need to build a room inside the room to begin to achieve the goal of isolating the room from the rest of the house.

What are your floor dimensions?

Does the cant of the roof come into play in considering room heights? i.e. do you have sloping walls or a sloping ceiling....?

Do you have the whole attic to work with or just part? i.e. will you need to consider some absorption/reflection on the far brick wall if there is one?

Most of your treatment will probably be focused on diffusing the wall-to-wall resonances and flutter echoes as well as trapping the bass at your mix end. Being able to fly some treatment would also help

Answer some dimension questions and we can offer some more advice

Thanks for the reply!

My room dimensions are 4.5 metres long by 3.5 metres wide, the height of the room is 2.3 metres. They walls slope down to 1.5 meters but this isn't a problem for me height wise as I've still got plenty of room.

I was thinking of putting a bass trap in each corner before the slope (height of my speakers) then at my desk end a diagnal bass trap in each of the slope corners and then one horizontally in the cieling/wall corner.

Then equally spacing out 6 tiles on the wall behind the speakers, then some by the side and above and behind me all equally spaced out.

I could also get some diffusers to put on the back wall.

How do you think this sounds?

Thanks again!

Best,
Dan

Hi Dan,

I think your plan so far for the bass traps sound good. I wouldn't suggest using any foam tiles or anything like that though as they will only absorb high frequencies. Instead, a couple more bass traps placed where you've suggested would be better.

The floor corners would also be great place for trapping as the corner is less than 90 degrees.

Don't forget first reflection points!

Thanks!

I was thinking of maybe getting maybe another 2 traps and doubling up in the corners behind my monitors, 2 would just fit in as the walls go up to 4ft before starting to slope up.

Would you recommend I still put tiles at my first reflection points and maybe above my monitors on the cieling?

Best,
Dan

Dan,

Thanks!

I was thinking of maybe getting maybe another 2 traps and doubling up in the corners behind my monitors, 2 would just fit in as the walls go up to 4ft before starting to slope up.

Yes, that would be good.

Would you recommend I still put tiles at my first reflection points and maybe above my monitors on the cieling?

Again, broadband panels would be a better choice, but if you already had the foam it wouldn't be too bad at first reflection points on the sidewalls and ceiling.

Oh right ok thanks for your advice, it's the 2" (2ftx2ft) auralex wedge studio foam that I have. Ill try that up in the reflection points and see if it helps, thanks!

Best,
Dan

Back