New Mixing Room But Too Much Reverb

Slicktune22

Hi Guys, I just moved into this new place, a bit tighter than my last but taller, 1st thing you'll notice if you walk in here is alot of reverb, now i know this isn't the most ideal place to be mixing but its the only room i have to spare and Id like to get rid of all the reverb, not sure what to use between "Sound Panels" "Sound Blankets" Or "Acoustic Foam" (by the way my budget is $150-$200) and secondly i need advice on where in the room i should place my speakers (Workstation) for the best mixing experience. Thanks in advance!

Heres A Video, Just so you can get an idea

I NEED HELP WITH MY NEW SET UP (MAINLY FOR MIXING)

Any feedback is appreciated, and excuse my mess, just moved in about 3 days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
very much a weird room with the height being the largest dimension

broadband absorbers/diffusers on the long walls should help to tame the reverb/flutter echo issues

maybe some suspended ceiling absorbers/diffusers like those found in the advice here The Recording Manual everything down the right hands side and don't forget to click on every tab in each page that opens off that main page (the first page that pops up is independent of the tabs along the top of them)

certainly some corner treatment (as in the points where all three parts of the dimensions come together) at the ceiling, as well as floor to ceiling absorbers/traps on the back junctions of the long and short walls (what we usually call corners)

very much a weird room with the height being the largest dimension

broadband absorbers/diffusers on the long walls should help to tame the reverb/flutter echo issues

maybe some suspended ceiling absorbers/diffusers like those found in the advice here The Recording Manual everything down the right hands side and don't forget to click on every tab in each page that opens off that main page (the first page that pops up is independent of the tabs along the top of them)

certainly some corner treatment (as in the points where all three parts of the dimensions come together) at the ceiling, as well as floor to ceiling absorbers/traps on the back junctions of the long and short walls (what we usually call corners)
thanks, i will put the manual to good use i really appreciate it, one last question where do you suggest i position the speakers??

for the size room you have you don't have much room to do anything other than what you currently have set up - just take the "junk" out

Last edited:
for the size room you have you don't have much room to do anything other than what you currently have set up - just take the "junk" out
My Room Acurate.jpg
Lol Yeah that junk is so annoying, its just boxes full of clothes and dishes lol, (I just moved to this apartment) i will definitely get them out the way, I attached a picture, so do you feel i should leave my set up as is (Vertical) Or should i move it Horizontaly?

Thanks In advance!!:)

Stick with the desk on the short wall where it is. In a larger room it often works better to have your desk along the longest wall, but in this room, that would put your chair almost dead centre of the room, which is where the biggest bass nulls are.

You need to treat the early reflection points (on the left and right walls between you and the speakers) with some diffusion, and with such a high ceiling I think a 'cloud' (diffusion on the ceiling above your head, ideally suspended to bring the actual ceiling down a little above you) above your seating position will drastically reduce the bouncing top end in there.
Bass trapping your corners should tighten things up as well, especially in a room like that (they reduce bass build up/standing waves and will diffuse/absorb highs as well) which is long and may have some large standing waves at the back.

Early reflection and ceiling first though!

Stick with the desk on the short wall where it is. In a larger room it often works better to have your desk along the longest wall, but in this room, that would put your chair almost dead centre of the room, which is where the biggest bass nulls are.

You need to treat the early reflection points (on the left and right walls between you and the speakers) with some diffusion, and with such a high ceiling I think a 'cloud' (diffusion on the ceiling above your head, ideally suspended to bring the actual ceiling down a little above you) above your seating position will drastically reduce the bouncing top end in there.
Bass trapping your corners should tighten things up as well, especially in a room like that (they reduce bass build up/standing waves and will diffuse/absorb highs as well) which is long and may have some large standing waves at the back.

Early reflection and ceiling first though!
Thank You so much, i really appreciate that
you guys have been a great help thanks:victory:

i just remembered something tho, do you guys have links as to where/what you would recommend me to buy with a budget of $200.00??
Thanks In Advance!!

Last edited:
I can't really comment as I'm not in the US and so can't really recommend the best retailers to go to. Any generic acoustic panels will do the job of diffusion of top end though, and over here in the UK, a box of 24 won't set you back too much. (maybe the equivalent of $60-70, and from what I hear it should deb cheaper in the US). That should be enough for first reflection points, rear wall and the ceiling above the desk. Creating an actual cloud might run you a few quid, but foam above you will certainly be a good start.

Buying bass traps can be expensive, but if you are happy to have a hobby weekend, google 'DIY Basstraps' and you'll find lots of options to make some half decent ones on a small budget with stuff from a hardware store and a days work.

Back