New Amp For Monitor Speakers

Alacritous

I've been using my KRK Rokit 8's for a while now without an amp and I want to know what a good amp for a budget bedroom studio would be?

Your Rokit 8's are active, yes? (They have an amp in the speaker)...

If so, you do not want to use (cannot, without modification) an amplifier-- the manufacturer has decided what they think the best amp is for the speakers and included them in the package.

If you had passive speakers, and only a sub-$100 budget, I would say save your money, or be very patient and wait for a deal on a lower-powered used/vintage Ashley, Crown, or Hafler power amp or even a nice vintage home stereo receiver (Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz, etc., etc.).
But under $100 is tough, and you're going to need different speakers if you want to go that route anyway.

Yup, the Rokits are active speakers which means they have amps built in. If they were passive, they wouldn't work at all without an amp.

yeah, id deffinitely reccomend getting your hands on something rather than continue using it without one, ruined a set myself doing that before i relized the toll it takes on them, and if youre only looking at 100 bucks maybe go m audio? idk thats at tough one

yeah, id deffinitely reccomend getting your hands on something rather than continue using it without one, ruined a set myself doing that before i relized the toll it takes on them, and if youre only looking at 100 bucks maybe go m audio? idk thats at tough one

Ummm, no. He has active speakers (again, this means they have built-in amplifiers), and he had the completely wrong idea that it'd somehow be better to buy a separate amp to drive them. The budget doesn't matter because there's no need to buy anything at all.

Looking at the back of them, there's not even a way to connect them (that would bypass the amp). That's why I said "without modification." I suppose it's possible, but why hack-up working active monitors when you can just sell them and buy passives, or get used to the actives you have and use them as-designed...

Back