Need desperate advice on treating home studio

Dafwill

I know very little about treating my small room for producing. I know my main concern is the bass so I'm planning to buy bass traps but my budget is $200, $250 if its worth it. I want to know if i could buy 4 bass traps put 2 behind each monitor which is right in the middle of the "power corners" and ignore the top tri corners where the two walls and ceiling meet and have it do the job of making the bass sound tight and right.Then ill eventually install Auralex panels behind the desktop screen,ceiling, and side walls. If not which bass traps and how would you guys recommend to set it up in my bedroom. i have attached a very simple diagram(please excuse the drawing) where im open to any of your guys suggestions and help. hopefully you guys understand and help me out. Thank you

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
dimensions (HxWxL)?

can you move the bed to run along a short wall? opening up the other short wall to put your desk and monitors against

Height- 7ft
Width- 10ft
Length- 12ft
Gonna update the pic with those dimensions. And the beds too dam big to fit against the short wall. Very small room. What do you recommend to best acoustically treat the room with my budget? Thanks for replying

Last edited:
your bed is more than 10' long - wow!

bass traps definitely

maybe some spot diffusion/diffraction/absorption but need to know things like where your speakers will be and where they are pointed towards

see this and then come back with any more questions Sound Proofing vs. Sound Treatment

Last edited:
bass traps definitely

maybe some spot diffusion/diffraction/absorption but need to know things like where your speakers will be and where they are pointed towards

see this and then come back with any more questions Sound Proofing vs. Sound Treatment

Appreciate you helping me out man. I love producing music, it's so dam fun, but when I know it's not sounding the way it should and the only way to fix it is expensive and I don't really know where to put my money it's very very demoralizing.

bass traps definitely

Read the article and I'm definitely Sound treating my bed room. The monitors will be against one of the long walls facing the other long wall as shown in the diagram. They're not exactly in the middle of the room but more to the left.I know it would be better to have against the short wall but due to my bed and room's layout i just cant. My question is would it make a worth buying difference if i buy 4 2"long corner bass trap units for $149.00- Auralex Lenrd Half Pack Charcoal Lenrd Bass Traps Half Pack Cha | eBay and putting them along the power corners labeled in the diagram i've provided and then buying a 24 pack of 2" studio foam wedgies- Auralex 2" Studiofoam Wedgies 1'x1'X2" Panels 24 Pack Charcoal | eBay and strategically placing them in my bedroom or What would you recommend? Sorry if im putting you in a tight spot.

Also what do you think about this foam. Will it work or is it just cheap foam that won't do anything positive acoustically? Small Studio Kit 24SF SoundTrax Acoustic Foam Panels 4 Bass Traps Soundproof | eBay

This video may give you some guidance it did for me. This is studio rescue by grammy winning mix engineer francis buckley

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the article and I'm definitely Sound treating my bed room. The monitors will be against one of the long walls facing the other long wall as shown in the diagram. They're not exactly in the middle of the room but more to the left.I know it would be better to have against the short wall but due to my bed and room's layout i just cant. My question is would it make a worth buying difference if i buy 4 2"long corner bass trap units for $149.00- Auralex Lenrd Half Pack Charcoal Lenrd Bass Traps Half Pack Cha | eBay and putting them along the power corners labeled in the diagram i've provided and then buying a 24 pack of 2" studio foam wedgies- Auralex 2" Studiofoam Wedgies 1'x1'X2" Panels 24 Pack Charcoal | eBay and strategically placing them in my bedroom or What would you recommend? Sorry if im putting you in a tight spot.

Also what do you think about this foam. Will it work or is it just cheap foam that won't do anything positive acoustically? Small Studio Kit 24SF SoundTrax Acoustic Foam Panels 4 Bass Traps Soundproof | eBay

foam is about absorption and a little bit about diffusion.

it will not address your bass resonance problems:

Frequency (Hz)PitchDeviation (Cents)
47.08F[sup]#[/sup][sub]0[/sub]+ 30
56.50A[sub]0[/sub]+ 46
73.55D[sub]1[/sub]+ 03
80.71E[sub]1[/sub]- 35
93.44F[sup]#[/sup][sub]1[/sub]+ 17
98.52G[sub]1[/sub]+ 09
109.2A[sub]1[/sub]- 12
are your main modes of resonance in this size room (Note that it suggests that D major would be a problem D-F[sup]#[/sup]-A).

Broadband bass traps in the corners particularly would be useful. these will work by being off the wall - it is the transition from one medium to another (air to foam, foam to air, air to wall, wall to air) that increases the effectiveness of absorption at any frequency.

Back