Need Advice on Headphone Setup

mrinvisible

I'm just starting out and have made 3 tracks so far using my laptop and a pair of iPhone headphones. With that said, I'm sure you can see my issue clearly now. I'm recording sound without really hearing it at a high resolution which is causing my volumes to be way off and mix to be out of time. Ideally, i would pickup a nice set of components with a sub and sound proof a room in my house, but I have 5 kids under 8 and newborn due in 2 weeks, momma aint having that! Im going to go with a quality pair of headphones hopefully to resolve some of my sound issues, but will be hooking up directly to my laptop and was wondering is there and pre amps that i should consider or any other components that can be inserted between the PC and the phones that can increase sound quality?

Thanks in advance

https://soundcloud.com/mrinvisible-235952211

Just wanted to say first..that Dream Sample joint is hot. Try other drums though or layer some higher freqeuncy drums with what you got.

To answer your question you want to get an audio interface between your sound output (headphones, speakers) and your computer. Helps with sampling rates and latency that your laptop more then likely can't handle. "Pre Amps" are for recording vocals or instruments which I believe most interfaces will have.

For headphones I use Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Studio Headphones - Closed | Sweetwater.com because my room was untreated and when doing mixing with reverbs and delays I would get cheated on the times of what I hear. These also go down to 8hz which gives you a full mix of all frequencies.

For future consideration, depending on how big or small your room is...avoid the subwoofer at all costs. (Just my opinion. Others my tell you different)

Thanks for the feedback on the track! I'll check out those headphones definitely and look into interface options. Thanks again

Definitely You will want to get an Audio Interface between your laptop and monitors or headphones. This will definitely save processing power. I would suggest going either with a Focusrite Scarlet or A M-Audio Interface. For headphones you can look into the Audio Technica ATH-M50X. These are great cans and I live by them for reference headphones. Also if you want you can throw in a simple little Behringer Mico Headphone amp.

Back