My Vocal Booth

Phobia Music

I'm looking to build a vocal booth 48 inches x 48 inches x 100 inches, I plan to use MDF wood for the casing and sound proof it. I will also use a heavy draped curtain on a rail to close of the front of it while an artist is recording...

As far as soundproofing I see loads of materials, but I'm not sure what are the best ones for capturing deep tones in a vocalist's/rapper's voice. Am I right to say that bass traps would be effective?

Also is it wise to lay material throughout the whole of the inside booth or just in special places with stripes/patches of soundproofing material?

Lastly I have a wooden floor...Would you say this is ideal for sound, or would it be best that I lay something over it?

Some help please people? :confused:

I was just left this *new* "Beating a dead horse" on another thread - No idea it would come in handy so soon...

BeatDeadHorse.gif

If you use the search function, you'll find all sorts of things (as this is covered at least a few times weekly).

Not the least of which is that 48"x48" is a CLOSET - Not a vocal booth. It's also a ridiculously BAD room ratio.

What would you suggest then?...I've actually seen booths 4ft by 4ft which you can purchase on the net

What would you suggest then?...I've actually seen booths 4ft by 4ft which you can purchase on the net - dolphin music, I think their called, maybe the height is to high but I'm not to sure...

Last edited:
Yes, and those are specifically designed and constructed for isolation. They generally sound "okay" and cost around $3,000. There's a reason for that.

In any case, they're designed as a "band-aid" for when no other "proper" vocal room is available.

If your gonna actually build your own effective Isolation booth (key word being Isolation) I hope you plan on spending some money. Most people think about foam but the truth is your not gonna need foam, and its not gonna do anything for isolation. What your gonna need is materials like Mineral wool, OC 703 or 704 ,loaded vinyl (like sheet blok...and this stuff ain't cheap) safety glass, acoustic sealant.

A guy on this forum suggested I got one of these: http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm - then I treat my room with auralex/bass traps etc...I sort of like this item and think it will be better than building a whole isolation room

Also if I am going to treat my room, would I need to do the whole of my bedroom or just the half in which I record or listen to my monitor for mixes in?

Last edited:
(A) Use as many broadband traps as you can.

(B) Use as little foam as you can.

(C) A room is either reasonable or not throughout the room. You can't just treat half the room - Sound is going to travel the other 8 feet. You can "spot-treat" corners for early reflections and what not for use as a vocal area, but that's going to throw off the balance in the rest of the room. If that's what you want, that's fine. But most people don't want that.

See at the same time I'm trying to think about cost as well, bas traps are very expensive lol in a room about 10ft x 8ft I'm thinking I would need about 15 bass traps :S. Acoustics wise this room doesn't have that much of a ring and the sound actually is quite solid throughout the room

Also if I was mixing down I wouldn't really move around the room out of the first half, as I would mix down infront my monitors...

If this is my idea, would it still be bad to not treat the whole of my bedroom?

Last edited:
record in your control room. Get everybody setup with a headphone mix, turn off the monitors.

I understand that clients want to see a "booth".

Back