my acoustic nightmare

KingCash

I've had minor treatment to my room for a while now. foam for reflections, and two bass traps in the front corners from GIK.

So I recently tested the response I'm getting in my mixing position and here are pictures of the test results for that room, a side by side.

JBL speakers on the left. Yamaha speakers on the right.

Screen_Shot_2016_11_11_at_10_47_45_AM.png

Here are pictures of the old room with minor treatments that is creating those graphs above.

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg

I wanted to correct and flatten the frequency spikes.

I was informed lowering the table might help the 1k dip and more bass trapping might help the low frequency plateau so i proceeded to do both.

here are the pictures of the new materials. and the final shots after the upgrade.

fiberglass

aaaaaaa.jpg

rockwool

bbbbbbb.jpg

fiberglass squeezed together and rock wool alternating pillar. symmetrical with left side

ccccccc.jpg

GIK acoustic bass traps now in front of the pillars for EVEN MORE trapping

11111111111111.jpg

3 feet of extra rock wool stacked in each back corner

222222222222222222222.jpg

excess fiber glass covered and placed along side floor corner

333333333333333.jpg

excess fiber glass covered and placed along side floor corner

444444444444444444.jpg

what an upgrade right?!? one would think this might help to change the low frequency plateau that showed up in the old room frequency tests.

well here is a side by side shot of the old room and the new room for each set of monitors

Left is the old room. Right is the new room.

Yamaha

yamaha.png

JBL

JBL.png

This was actually pretty heartbreaking for me.

So the graphs tell me this... lowering the table might have helped the 1k range become a little flatter and/or more spread out.

but there was very little to no bass correction provided by the rock wool pillars i installed. the extra rock wool and fiber glass i placed around the room symmetrically in various corners.

what do the graphs tell you?

if you've followed this post so far what do you think about this outcome? believable or unbelievable? mistakes I've made?

anything will help.

I'm going to try to pick up this book soon if i can get the money too cause someone just recommended it to me. Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros / Edition 2 by Rod Gervais | 9781435457171 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble®

although my bank accounts are nearly empty right now and I'm hoping i can find a permanent solution to acoustics.

thanks for reading.

oh and i apologize for the double post on my acoustics. this one is a lot more organized and summarized for a quicker read of anyone that was willing to help me. I'm trying to find a way to delete the other one,

anyways I've since learned from other forums that ive likely knocked out a good amount of the low end decay which tends to show up on waterfall graphs and less on frequency spectrum analyzers. and I've also given it some listens. and i can say there is some slight improvements.

as for other corrections i appreciate all input on this.

peace.

Back