The 'Must Haves' For a Home Studio?

Cables
Monitors
amp for the monitors (unless you insist that active monitors are the best for you; for me they don't rate)
Microphone (dictated by what you want to do)

If hard disk recorder
then you will want some hardware synth modules/keyboards/what-have-you
mixer (may be part of the recorder)

If Computer
Soundcard/audio interface: there is a difference and which way you go has a lot to do with what you want to do in the end
Controller of some sort (either a keyboard or a pad controller)
Software to manipulate
software to record
software to mix/master

A girlfriend or wife that understands what you're going through, who is willing to sacrifice, support your musical endeavors.
The best "must have" if you're in a relationship...:monkey:

For me every studio needs the easy goto interment that is always on, like an acoustic guitar.
A SPL measuring tool.
... and lot's of SOS, FP, MIX magazines.

like what?

In that price range you could get a pair of Fostex PMO.4n (a cheaper line of the Fostex products, but are more accurate than the Rokits) ... I'm pretty sure they're even cheaper than the Rokit's. You could also look into some of the M-Audio BX5's, which I've never personally listened to but a few of my classmates geek over them, and M-Audio makes pretty decent gear.

For like an extra 30 bucks you could get a pair of Tannoy Reveal's .... also some Alesis models sit in this price range as well. Samson's also make a very good line of speakers (I don't remember the model numbers) and I know they're right around this price too...

But for an extra hundred dollars and higher you basically open up Pandora's Box when it comes to the big boy speakers... 5 inch Yamaha HS50's (which I personally hated the sound of, but you might not.. others swear by them) or the JBL LSR2325's (which I would highly suggest getting.. I've got the 8 inch version and they're phenomenal) ... and if you really want to ball out you can look into the Adam A7X's, Event 20/20's, or Genelecs.... but those start getting really pricey.

I would stick with the Yamaha's or the JBL's ... great speakers, and affordable while you're at it... they're like the high mid-range of what's out there if that makes sense lol.

Don't get me wrong I'm not totally bashing KRK .. the company itself is pretty awesome. I used to have a pair of their headphones and they were great... it's just the Rokit's I don't like.. they're just not accurate at all when it comes to mixing. They "sound good" because the bottom end is really exaggerated, which sounds pleasing, but won't translate outside of your studio well... the only KRK's I've ever seen in a professional studio environment are the higher end VXT line...

Hope this long ass message helped you... lol

Last edited:
In that price range you could get a pair of Fostex PMO.4n (a cheaper line of the Fostex products, but are more accurate than the Rokits) ... I'm pretty sure they're even cheaper than the Rokit's. You could also look into some of the M-Audio BX5's, which I've never personally listened to but a few of my classmates geek over them, and M-Audio makes pretty decent gear.

For like an extra 30 bucks you could get a pair of Tannoy Reveal's .... also some Alesis models sit in this price range as well. Samson's also make a very good line of speakers (I don't remember the model numbers) and I know they're right around this price too...

But for an extra hundred dollars and higher you basically open up Pandora's Box when it comes to the big boy speakers... 5 inch Yamaha HS50's (which I personally hated the sound of, but you might not.. others swear by them) or the JBL LSR2325's (which I would highly suggest getting.. I've got the 8 inch version and they're phenomenal) ... and if you really want to ball out you can look into the Adam A7X's, Event 20/20's, or Genelecs.... but those start getting really pricey.

I would stick with the Yamaha's or the JBL's ... great speakers, and affordable while you're at it... they're like the high mid-range of what's out there if that makes sense lol.

Don't get me wrong I'm not totally bashing KRK .. the company itself is pretty awesome. I used to have a pair of their headphones and they were great... it's just the Rokit's I don't like.. they're just not accurate at all when it comes to mixing. They "sound good" because the bottom end is really exaggerated, which sounds pleasing, but won't translate outside of your studio well... the only KRK's I've ever seen in a professional studio environment are the higher end VXT line...

Hope this long ass message helped you... lol
it definitely did bro trust me haha. ive copied it down too :)

Back