The 'Must Haves' For a Home Studio?

38ffd82489c59f285becb35f36664d88.jpg

Did anyone say, Lava Lamp,,..or plural, LAMPS!!!
The more lamps, the more cool points you have.
oh wait, I don't even have one of those..or any of those...

Maybe I will go purchase about 400 of them, varying in size,
and align them into some sort of diffuser array for my back wall.

Last edited:
You guys could probably dance around this for weeks. You can be the illest producer in the game all the way up to the third industrial revolution, but if you miss a payment on the light bill you ain't producing shit but a nyctophobic drop in cold toilet water.

Last edited:
You guys could probably dance around this for weeks.

I love dancing, cause I'm "a maniac, maniac, on the floor."
Sometime, I dance, like I've never danced before.

On another note(see what I did there)
But for real...most important, is proper room acoustics. You could
Have high dollar equipment, but if your room is crap, well, use your imagination.
Unless you are good at referencing, but even then, it makes you work harder, not smarter.

Last edited:
A room with good acoustics or acoustically treat it if not, especially for live instruments or if you plan to mix/master. What I would say if you are buying the acoustic foam, bass traps, diffusers, etc. spend at least as much as you did on your monitoring setup. There's also guides online I've seen how to make your own acoustic foam and all that good stuff i mentioned above, but fyi, egg cartons don't work

every studio needs some acoustic treatment, really! And some good speakers. And an interface....and a keyboard lol a lot of stuff really.

computer, mic, audio interface, slr cable, pop filter, mic stand. thats all i use lol

Spend $100 -

Buy some Owens Corning 703 (google) - Buy some 1"x2" wood - Fabric

Make a frame and build yourself some really good acoustic panels (there are tutorials on YouTube)

for around $100 you can make four 4" big bass traps and four 2" panels

a $3,000 microphone ain't sh*t without good acoustics.

Spend $100 -

Buy some Owens Corning 703 (google) - Buy some 1"x2" wood - Fabric

Make a frame and build yourself some really good acoustic panels (there are tutorials on YouTube)

for around $100 you can make four 4" big bass traps and four 2" panels

a $3,000 microphone ain't sh*t without good acoustics.
will def look into that

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Thanks to everyone who helped! :D

What's considered a "must have" in a home recording studio is pretty subjective. It depends on what you're trying to do...

Back