multiple ways to setup/route (MY SETUP)

79brodz

Hi, I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section, or someone with the exact same setup has already covered this.

I'm looking for help with setting up my gear (hardware, software, midi & audio routing).. I'd like everything I have to serve as some use when switching between DAW's.. or basically just work together smoothly.
There's multiple ways of setting things up, so I'm confused as to what would be the best configuration for my needs etc.

This is what I have to work with:

(COMPUTER)
Mac Pro (early 2009)
OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
Memory - 8GB 1066 MHz DDR3

(SOFTWARE/DAW)
Propellerhead Reason 8.1
Native Instruments Maschine 2.2.3
Cognitone Harmony Navigator 2.7.4

(HARDWARE/MIDI CONTROLLER's/AUDIO INTERFACE/MISC)

Nektar P4 Panorama
Native Instruments Maschine Studio
Roland MC-808
Avid Mbox 3 Pro
Digi Design Mbox 1
Shure SM57 Dynamic Mic
Sony MDS-JE520 MiniDisc Deck
Numark TTX 1 Turntable
(all mentioned above are updated to latest versions software/firmware
*If Applicable) as of today (Feb. 3 2015)

*Note*
I prefer tracking into Reason over Maschine (I'm still not confident using "Scenes" to sequence.. plus I love the SSL style mixer in Reason etc.

The mini disc deck isn't really being used for anything, but could potentially be used for something as it has good recording/audio thru capabilities via RCA analogue, or Digital Optical I/O

The MC-808 is the second beatmaking unit I've ever owned (next to the MC-505)... so it's dear to my heart. It's fully expanded but I don't plan to use it to sample (that's what the maschine studio & reason is for now)
I would however love to use it as a synth (connected to my P4 keyboard)
It also has some really cool Effects built in. It would be nice to run audio from Maschine or Reason into it to use these effects, from there I could sample the wet signal, or track the audio back into Reason or Maschine.
Also... when I look at the MC-808 I think about how cool it would be to use it as a dedicated Midi controller to control Redrum in Reason. Is this even possible?

When only using Reason it would be awesome to use my Maschine Studio as a controller to trigger Kong & Kong only.. I've recently purchased Maschine(R) but haven't set anything up yet..

I'd also like to be able to sample (into Maschine) from reason.. I've recently downloaded Soundflower, but again I haven't set anything up..
before I've had success by running audio from the outputs of the Mbox 3 pro to the inputs of the MC-808, from there the output of the 808 goes back to the Mbox 3's inputs, that setup allows the Maschine to sample both the 808 & Reason via the same mbox 3 pro inputs, but is this a good method? running cables from the mbox3 output back to the mbox3 input
potential to pick up line noise from all of the routing etc.. this is the reason I wanna give Soundflower a try someday soon... avoid all the physical routing etc. thoughts?

a little more info:

aside from my Mbox 3 pro, my computer has line I/O, & digital optical I/O... my Mbox 1 is obsolete with my updated OS, but was thinking about buying a tiny laptop (running old version of windows XP) this will not only allow me be able to get the mbox1 working again, but will also allow me to use the MC-808's software
which also doesn't work with my updated Mac OS.. that 808 software is unfortunately the only way to tap into the full parameters of the 808's effects..

Lastly..
I can only do so much with the Mbox pro 3, as I don't have pro tools.. it's being used as standalone, so when it comes to making settings I can only make changes thru the standard control panel.

Thanks for reading.
setup suggestions or thoughts?

Back