Motu 2408mk3

• Thread starter questionsandanswers
  • Start date
Q

questionsandanswers

anybody got this? is it good? how does it affect your studio/recording?

would i need this if my studio is only hardware based (i dont use the computer at all when i make my beats)

i dont fully understand the purpose of it.

thanks

I had the 2408MKII, it wasn't bad at all. How does it affect my recordings? Well, what do you mean by that?

If you need a D/A A/D converter you may need it. Other than that, maybe not.

questionsandanswers said:
anybody got this? is it good? how does it affect your studio/recording?

would i need this if my studio is only hardware based (i dont use the computer at all when i make my beats)

i dont fully understand the purpose of it.

thanks

if you don't know its purpose, then i doubt that you'll need it..

simple as that ;)

im always looking for room for enhancing what i already have and right now im aiming to make my recordings (vocal) to be as good as it can be.

i've got a Rode NT-A condenser mic, mv-8000 and a Penta Compressor/preamp. A friend suggested getting a mkIII which would make my recordings even better.

I just wanted to know if anybody experienced any improved quality in their recordings/productions.

The MOTU 2408 is a PCI based soundcard system with breakout box to record into a computer. Are you saying you want to record onto a computer?

In addition to the soundcard you will need recording software.

The 2408 is a big expensive jump for someone who only has a mic and preamp.

i have quite a decent studio, everything is routed into my digital mixer. I was considering using the mixer to record into and through the mk2408 onto the computer and save it in there and do all my CD burning from there rather then purchasing a multitrack recorder.

would this be possible?

all my gear >> mixer >> mk2408 >> save everything into pc.

basically use my pc and mk2408 as an alternative to a multitrack recorder.

The 2408 works very well as an interface between the computer and a digital mixer provided you have adat optical and/or tdif connectivity.

What digital mixer do you have?

I own the 2408mkIII and think it is pretty good, as far as converters go in it's price range. It is obviously not as good as some of the high end stuff out there, but for me it is perfect. It has lots of options, 8 channels of analogue and 24 channels of ADAT or T/DIF....which would hook up directly to your behringer mixer (I think), and then into the computer.

If you do this, your behringer will be doing the AD conversion, so as far as "improving" the quality of your recordings, getting a 2408 wont be what you are looking for.

Maybe you would be better of buying something like the 828 MkII. This has 2 onboard preamps, so you can hook your mic directly to this, and then straight onto the computer. It also comes with a Audio Only version of Digital Performer.....which will be fine for multi-tracking.

I think it even has ADAT I/O so you can bounce stuff straight off the behringer into the computer digitally, if you want to use the behringer converters.

If you want to buy a computer, for multi-tracking, or burning CD's as you put it, then either the 2408 or 828 would be usefull to you.....but wont seriously improve the quality of your recordings. If you want to achieve this, you would need to buy a really good mic, high-end preamp, and then record in a nice space. I just bought this old analogue desk and since using the pre-amps on it, the quality of my recordings has shot through the roof. Now if only I could afford a decent mic.......

Good luck mate!

Hi,

Yeah it sounds good. Thats what i plan to do and i read up on the mk2 which seems to be what i want as well as the 2408.

I already have a mic preamp so i may favour the 2408 over the mk2 and use everything to route to the 2408 and direct it into the computer to record.

Thanks for your help, people. I appreciate it!

the 2408mk3 is a nice piece. got one i use for transferring in and out. it works. drivers are funny sometimes, but mines been pretty stable for the past 6 months.

Look, I don't want to tell you what to do, but it makes absolutely no sense to me why you'd want an audio interface for your computer anyway.
I mean the MV already has a USB port on it right? once it's digital, it doesn't matter what it's going through to get to your computer.
You already have a Pre on your MV, and 12 on your DDX3216. You've got effects on the MV, and effects on your DDX3216.
If nothing else, I would take that money and put it on some really primo mics.

Back