Monitors not working

I've got a dying laptop (slow, only 3GB Ram i3 Processor), which recently doesn't let me run too many applications at once and freezes every now and then. When I play music through Spotify or youtube, my laptop speakers and my surround sound speakers play fine but my monitors (through Focusrite 2i2) cut out soon after the track starts and just start buzzing incoherently. I'm sure a new laptop would help, if not fix the issue, but I'm just checking if anyone's had a similar issue and that it isn't a software fault with the Focusrite or something. Or possibly an issue with the USB port the 2i2's connected to; one of the ports on my laptop has ceased working altogether. As with a lot of people I won't spontaneously buy a new laptop unless it's really worth it/ can't afford to right now.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

step 1) you need to do a system optimise and a hard drive defragment
the defragment will simply put all your files back into contiguous (that is sequential) order
the system optimise will remove all of the crud that has accrued over the years
system optimise is about deleting any temp files, deleting old, outdated or simply unnecessary (anything that might no longer be around) registry entries and remove other stuff that no longer needs to be attached

get yourself CCleaner free version CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download and run it a few times to unclog your system

step 2) try again

step 3) reinstall your drivers for the focusrite and review once more (try connecting to a different usb port if you can

Also - does the same thing happen with headphones? Does it only happen with Youtube/Spotify? Just start ruling things out so you'll get to the cause of the issue.

bandcoach- thanks for the tips-I'd done a system clean and thought I'd done a defrag but I hadn't so ye thanks for prompting me. I've done the defrag now and also replaced the battery; I think the systems running faster now. I'll test out running RAM-sucking applications like Spotify n Ableton and if the problem persists I'll have to rethink. I've got and run CCleaner regularly.

krushing-no the problem only occurs with my monitors, presumably because they're connected via usb rather than just aux ports.

take them to store and make sure that they fit well otherwise simply make an exchange of those qualities

The monitors are KRK Rokit 5s. Now I've cleaned up my laptop it occurs less frequently, but still is a regular thing with high memory usage. The 2i2 interface now doesn't work with 2 of my 3 usb ports (although one of these two works with other appliances eg. wireless mouse/ ext. HD). When I connect the usb cable to the laptop in the non-working ports the power lights briefly light on the 2i2, then they fade and as I said it doesn't play. I've downloaded the drivers for the Focusrite again but that hasn't done anything. I've yet to try using a mate's laptop because I'm lazy but if this get's worse I'll have to do that to check if it's a non-laptop hardware issue.

WadeSantaCruz: I don't understand what you're telling me to do mate.

first thing you should do is check against another source

if you continue to have issues, I suggest
  • if your laptop is still in warranty get it repaired so that the usb ports are all working again
  • in my experience a lot of issues with laptops come back to the power supply/charger not being large enough
    • get yourself a power supply that is actually properly rated for your laptop at the top end of the power spectrum
    • the highest rated power consumption/provision for your laptop
      • usually found on the underbelly of your laptop is a slew of recommendations as to what values should be there
        • in volts (V) and amps (A)
      • multiply the two numbers and obtain the one that gives the largest result
      • under powering your laptop can cause symptoms that sound like a ground loop but which is actually underpowered dc ripple hash (the supply is trying to deliver more power than it is designed to do and so the current instead of being ripple free develops characteristic chatter ripples)
  • get yourself a powered USB hub to connect to the one remaining usb port - most devices that take power from usb port require 5V@2A to be available on the power buss, however most manufacturers think that this part of the spec means that all ports total should provide 2A, and thus current limit individual ports to a lower value like 500mA (1/2 A) causing all sorts of issues with external hardware that should never be an issue

Last edited:
Ok thanks again bandcoach. So I've just bought a powered USB 2.0 hub (hopefully it won't be necessary to get a USB 3.0 as they're way more expensive), and I'm considering buying a new power supply cable due to what you said. I've got a couple of questions though. If this problem occurs when I'm running on the laptop's battery power (as said I just replaced the dead battery for a new 9-cell 90Wh unit), then why would there be more power delivered when I'm plugged in with the power running via the battery? Another question: the figures given on the belly of my laptop are 4.62A/ 7A and 19.5V. There are 150W and 130W PSUs available on ebay... 7 x 19.5 gives 136.5W: which PSU should I go for if they are both compatible?

1) the power coming form the charger is constant and not current limited like the battery will be
2) the battery is usually bypassed if there is a power source connected - i.e. the battery is charging but the power comes from the wall/line wart
3) the point may be moot anyway if the mobo only has 500mA going to each USB port

Well I was charging my new smartphone via usb today and when I connected the focusrite to the other working port it just didn't turn on at all. Disconnected my phone and waited, tried the focusrite again and it worked. So yeah my laptop can't provide enough power. As long as the powered USB hub I ordered works it should improve things. I'll update...

ain't troubleshooting, when you have a plan, grand :) :victory:

sorry, that probably reads better if it were "when you have a plan, ain't troubleshooting grand :) :victory:"

the first version is using a split infinitive which some folks find hard to parse/interpret

Last edited:
ithink its ur sound card this crakle happens to me aswell i just turn off my sound card thur the line input on my pc ...

better to check the wirings and cables of it, i think there is some problem in to it now

Oh sheeeeet I didn't see these comments hence the month-long silence. Krushing- I meant that my Focusrite 2i2 sound card/ interface runs off phantom power via usb (although the monitors obviously don't), whereas my standard computer speakers just connect up using 3.5mm jacks which presumably don't steal any/ much power from my laptop. The problem is ongoing despite me freeing up HD space and increasing my virtual memory/ running CCleaner. WadeSantaCruz I don't think it's a wiring issue as when I change my power settings on the laptop to an energy saving mode, the speakers cut out much sooner (with RAM- "heavy" operations). It couuuld be an issue with my interface but that's relatively new. I think bezicly I have to wizard my laptop somehow or buy another with a decent processor/ more than 3GB RAM.
Wonderful ideas will still be tried out . Peace.

Sounds like you don't have enough bus power.

Also worth checking out is your power plan...click on the battery icon and make sure its at high performance instead of balanced or power saver.

Sounds like you don't have enough bus power.

Also worth checking out is your power plan...click on the battery icon and make sure its at high performance instead of balanced or power saver.

yes, we had established buss power issues a while back and a plan to fix the problem (which is not commented on in the latest post by CU)

• get yourself a powered USB hub to connect to the one remaining usb port - most devices that take power from usb port require 5V@2A to be available on the power buss, however most manufacturers think that this part of the spec means that all ports total should provide 2A, and thus current limit individual ports to a lower value like 500mA (1/2 A) causing all sorts of issues with external hardware that should never be an issue

3) the point may be moot anyway if the mobo only has 500mA going to each USB port

Well I was charging my new smartphone via usb today and when I connected the focusrite to the other working port it just didn't turn on at all. Disconnected my phone and waited, tried the focusrite again and it worked. So yeah my laptop can't provide enough power. As long as the powered USB hub I ordered works it should improve things. I'll update...

when you have a plan, ain't troubleshooting grand :) :victory:

Ye I tend to forget everything. sarry. SO to summarise:
-I bought a powered USB tower
-It hasn't helped-lame
This might be because it's a cheap USB 2.0 one off eBay (new)
-I haven't bought a different power supply as I did think "it was moot" due to this not affecting power supply when it's on battery - might reconsider this as a plan
Power plans shouldn't be problem; it's on high performance
-I still haven't tested the interface on another computer (because I forgot to-lame)
- Yes bus power is the issue pretty sure
-

Back