Monitor Placement in an Un-Ideal Location

latinbala4sho

So I just purchased 2 Yamaha HS80ms for a good price and want to start setting up my home studio in my bedroom. The only problem is that the desk where I will be placing these monitors is in a VERY unideal location, and unfortunately, I have no other options for its placement. Here is where the desk is set up:

The desk is facing the long wall of a rectangular room, so the distance to the wall behind me would be the shortest distance in the room. The desk is in the corner of the room, so one of the monitors will be up against a corner of the room. There is a vent to the right of the desk, overhead that makes a very loud fan noise (This is probably an impossible thing to overcome, but I just figured I'd put this here so you all know how awful this placement is), and there is a window on the wall nearest the right side of the desk. The room is also carpeted. I purchased monitor stands so that I can angle the monitors to be that equilateral triangle sweet-spot I would need for optimal monitoring, but I'm afraid the placement is crap for critical listening purposes.

What types of room treatments and room control settings should I use on the HS80M monitors to compensate for some of this crappy positioning? I figured the monitor on my right (Nearest the corner) could drop to -4dB on the Room Control (Bass Reduction) switch on the back of this monitor, while the left monitor could stay flat at 0dB, but I'm not sure how that would affect my listening and stereo field (Since Bass isn't really affected by placement or positioning), since these are actually the first proper studio monitors I've ever purchased.

Should I put a bass trap behind the monitor on the right to reduce some of the issues with bass on the right monitor nearest the corner? What about other room treatments or handling the window?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I know this is a crappy location, but my room is small, and there is only so much I can move to make this work. This is the only way I can set this up in my room and unfortunately, there are many obstacles.

I hope I can get some help. Please, if you know anything about this subject, let me know!

Greatly appreciated,

David

How important is music production to you? Do you have a bed in the room?

If so, sacrifice the bed.

Last edited:
floor plan will say far more than your words have - it will allow us to offer alternate furniture placement ideas amongst other things

dimensions of the room (HxWxL), dimensions of the furniture (HxWxL) are all important even the window size and height above floor level and the location of the fan vent

Room Layout at 121 Country Club Drive Unit 3.png

Some corrections/additional info to the diagram:

Room dimensions (not including bathroom and closet) - 130 in x 180 in.

DJ Table - 24 x 48 x 28

Queen Size Bed - 63 x 84

Window - 77 inches wide

The guitar is moveable, but that's just where it currently is. If there's any other dimensions needed, please let me know and I'll be glad to measure it out.

Thanks!

David

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 12:18 PM, David Casas <drcasas2@gmail.com> wrote:

so based on the image title you are renting a motel room? with fixed furniture placements?

This will make life extremely difficult

my first instinct is to move the bed into a corner

and rearrange the other furniture related the bed and clothing into the same basic space

then put the dj setup on the wall where the doors for the bathroom and closet are

lastly put the studio table where the nightstand and guitar were located

the tv is this at floor height or at some other level?

what is the distance between the architraves for the two internal doors? include the paneling to outline the door frame but not the doors themselves

bandcoach, thank you for all of your questions and comments. GREATLY APPRECIATED!

so based on the image title you are renting a motel room? with fixed furniture placements? This will make life extremely difficult

ANSWER: No, All pieces of furniture are moveable.

my first instinct is to move the bed into a corner

and rearrange the other furniture related the bed and clothing into the same basic space

then put the dj setup on the wall where the doors for the bathroom and closet are

lastly put the studio table where the nightstand and guitar were located

the tv is this at floor height or at some other level?

what is the distance between the architraves for the two internal doors? include the paneling to outline the door frame but not the doors themselves

ANSWER/RESPONSE: When you said that, it clicked. I will move my bed to where the DJ Setup currently is, so that the head of the bed is up against the wall of the entrance doorway. I will mount the TV and the AV shelf at the foot of the bed, on the wall directly across the wall of the entrance doorway (Where the Studio Desk was going to be). The night stand will be next to the bed. The DJ setup will be next to the TV. The dresser will be next to the DJ setup, the guitar will stay in place. This leaves the desk placement to either be up against the wall where the dresser currently is on the diagram, or up against the wall next to the room entranceway. I'm not currently at home, so I cannot measure the length of the wall between my bathroom door and my closet door, but unfortunately, I suspect it to be a bit shorter than the desk's overall width. This leaves me the unfortunate option of putting the desk up against the wall nearest the room entrance, right by the door, which is a little better than putting the speaker in the corner of the room. Though this is not ideal, is this salvageable? Is there any treatments that can be done if I'd need to put the desk up against one of the longer walls, so that there is a shorter distance between my speakers and the reflecting wall behind me? I'll measure the width between the two doors in my room, and if they can fit the desk, that's where it will go, but if I cannot fit the desk there, is there any treatments that can be done for putting it up against the longer wall? I like your option as well, putting the desk where the nightstand and guitar once were, because it is directly behind my door, which would alleviate some reflections, however, I am not sure if I'd be able to fit into the closet door if I put it too close. I'll have to experiment. I will respond with the measurements between the two internal doors when I get home from work today. The TV is wall mounted. I will be mounting it to the wall soon, along with the wall-mounted AV shelf (2 shelfs for the cable box and xbox), but i want to make sure the layout is perfect first.

Thank you! This has always been the most helpful music forum I've ever encountered and thank you for keeping this place alive!

Grealy appreciated,

David

Last edited:
Back