Which monitor is better suited for my room?

liem

I was wondering how much room space plays into monitor selection? I produce with just headphones as of now and I intend on purchasing studio monitors very soon but I'm not sure if I should purchase something along the lines of the Yamaha hs80m's or something smaller like the KRK Rokit 5's. My room is relatively small, probably a 10 feet by 10 feet room. What other factors play into this situation? Will the Hs80m's be too big for my room? Any help would be awesome. There are some pictures attached if that helps at all with the image of my room.

Attachments

• IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 99
There are no "speakers that are too big for the room" - only a untreated room which leads to a bad bass response - and you'll have the same bass problems regardless of what speakers you get. Granted, a 5" speaker likely won't go down to 40 Hz, so any room problems there or under wouldn't be as big of a deal as with larger speakers, but there will still be many other problems going on in the room.

I had Rokit 5s before, acoustically treated my room, and got new monitors. Having a pair of three-ways in an acoustically treated room is wonderful, but it made a large difference even with the KRKs still in here for a few months. I would recommend treatment regardless if you go with a 5" or 10" speaker. My room is also basically 10' x 10' for reference.

Back