Mixing Room Dimensions

Daniel Clavet

Hi guys, this is my first thread and as I'm building a new mixing room with these dimension 8'-6"W x 10'-6"L x 7'-4"H I'm wondering what would be the best acoustic treatment and is it big enough for mixing / mastering

Thanks

It depends on the amount and size of the gear you want to put in the room, but that should be fine. You just want to avoid a square room (which you have done). You should do a proper test if possible once you are set-up in the room, but good guesses would be that you would need corner bass traps, and anti-reflection material behind your mix position, on the side walls, and possibly behind the speakers (the wall facing you). If possible, set-up on the "short" wall. Don't have the speakers too close to the wall. Carpeting on the floor will help, as will a natural diffusor like a book case (with books or records), and maybe more depending on your room construction and gear.

There is a lot of information in these threads about room treatment. There is also a good book by Rod Gervais about studio construction (I realize you are probably using an existing room in your home, rather than building, but there is still great info in the book):

Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros: Rod Gervais: 9781435457171: Amazon.com: Books

GJ

Last edited:
It won't be packed just a desk with 2 x 5" monitors an electric drum and some acoustic treatments like bass traps as you recommend.
Thanks for the reply

Back