Making a studio for cheap - require soundproofing

devilz_soul1979

Good afternoon all

I'm a newbie who is trying to create a studio for playing classical music (violin, viola, piano) and also teaching classical music.

I have leased a space that has dry walls and carpet flooring (your average northern california house space basically) and is almost 300 ft.².

My first priority at this stage is to understand how to soundproof the studio in a way that there is no one outside the studio can hear the music and also that the sound of instrument inside the studio is as close to the level of recording studios or larger Symphony Hall. The reason I am trying to create that level of soundproofing is that I would like to audition for professional position in classical music and having a good soundproofing will not only help the neighbors but also my playing by creating just the right note for practice by not reverbing/echoing

The studio is in Northern California and needless to say that I have a limited budget for soundproofing. I looked into the acoustic foam but wasn't sure how to use it so what I am hoping to get help from the community is as follows:

- good Reading material on soundproofing basic and how to go about
- suggestion on the materials that I can use on the drywall to make it a soundproof space
- where to buy this material for cheap/good price
- any other resource link that you think I should be reading to create a very good space

i will be extremely thankful for your help

Regards

Last edited:
You're basically talking about two different - if slightly overlapping - things: acoustic treatment (the purpose of which is to reduce the reflections/natural reverb of the recording space) & soundproofing (isolating sound). The articles above mostly talk about the former, and it's the key to getting a studio-like sound. Soundproofing, on the other hand, is much harder to achieve and basically requires additional construction (room within a room); just putting up stuff on the walls simply won't do much in terms of keeping the sound from "escaping" the space. That said, closing gaps and holes will make it more quiet up to a point - but for example bass is really hard to keep contained.

When I was in my metal group, we took some moving blankets for protecting expensive furniture etc, and hung it on the walls in folds. Really deadened the room I think...

The best way to soundproof is to build a room within a room and insulate the piss out of it.

well you can build a mock wall with entrance a few feet back from the actual entrance, like a room inside a room, but you are limited with space. I did this in a garage space with great results.
I would build a sound panel to cover the door (slightly bigger than doorway). in addition, build a few sound panels to bank off corners and contain echos. those sound panels are simple to build with 1x4 or 1x6 cheap planks, thick pink insulation, and bed sheets or other fabric.

[FONT=&quot]The third article from the top of the list mentioned that these panels cost under $30 to make, but the tallied price is over $200. Did this guy mean the cost is under $30 per panel?[/FONT]

You need to price out the total job for your studio.

So price a typical piece of 1 ( or less) x 4 x 12 lumber, the cheapest you can find. Then price out a roll of r15 insulation or better, some people use rockwool in basstraps.

Bucket of screw and some glue and staples, and fabric.

So for $200 you can budget a complete job. Price can be cheaper than $30 a panel.

A false wall , some bass traps in the corner, a panel
At the control center, and double padded carpet should lower most noise from bothering the neighbors.

Last edited:
What materials are usually better for soundproofing? Without room in a room. I mean, different houses, skyscrapers and etc., for "normal people" : ), are built with different materials. With luck this info can be found.

So, anyone? I'm sure modern buildings are better but I know almost nothing about materials. Living in an old house it seems they considered soundproof as the last thing to care about

Back