Lighting for Studio

evanmays

Helper and Teacher
Hey Guys! I am in the process of cleaning my unfinished basement (only flooded once in past 6 years). I plan on moving my studio into a dedicated space there. It will have a refrigerator and all of my studio gear. Right now it has fluorescent lighting similar to a public middle school. There are panels in the ceiling and the lights are panels too.

It looks like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7qnkY0PHj_o/SfuTXoDb29I/AAAAAAAABj4/ofbUlQAQlIY/s400/DSC06082.JPG

Are fluorescent lights bad for the audio chain? I read in a couple of places that they introduced noise similar to when you put video cables next to audio.

The noise is from the ballast/ignition units so only exists at switch on and turn off. Unless the light or the ballast units develop a fault. The fix is easy: replace one or both (start with the ballast, then the light itself)

Lyco Fluorescent Starter - Lyco Direct

Light Guide: Fluorescent Ballasts

Personally I'd be looking at potlights/downlights using halogen bulbs - better for your eyes and better for electricity bill if you are a using a transformer to bring them down to 12v - talk to an electrician/lighting tech about how to go about doing it. Spacing is about every six feet for an even spread of light at floor level....

The noise is from the ballast/ignition units so only exists at switch on and turn off. Unless the light or the ballast units develop a fault. The fix is easy: replace one or both (start with the ballast, then the light itself)

Lyco Fluorescent Starter - Lyco Direct

Light Guide: Fluorescent Ballasts

Personally I'd be looking at potlights/downlights using halogen bulbs - better for your eyes and better for electricity bill if you are a using a transformer to bring them down to 12v - talk to an electrician/lighting tech about how to go about doing it. Spacing is about every six feet for an even spread of light at floor level....

Thanks, that makes sense! Also, I was thinking of getting a bunch of tall floor lamps. Do you think those will propose a problem?

I haven't had any issues with the fluorescent lighting in my studio, in fact you are more likely to have issues with the refrigerator than the lights.

only if the refrigerator happens to be on the same circuits as the audio gear (which it shouldn't be - this is because of the compressor in the refrigerator switching on and off and the associated spikes and surges)

Thanks guys! First, I decided on christmas lights because they are all led, remain on, and have a nice mood to them.

Also shouldn't a power conditioner fix the voltage spikes?

but why put the stress there in the first place?

When it comes to working with electricity, I find that it is always smarter and easier to avoid creating a problem than try to fix it with solutions that were never really designed for the problem in the first place,

put another way your entire studio room should be using a separate set of circuits from your household appliances.

also check your earthing system. If it is not a starred earth system - all earth lines running back to a single earth/ground spike - you may end up with ground loop problems caused by imbalances in the perceived resistance to ground each item in your studio sees - electricity prefers to run along the path of least resistance.

I'll do up a better explanation of ground loop issues if you want

but why put the stress there in the first place?

When it comes to working with electricity, I find that it is always smarter and easier to avoid creating a problem than try to fix it with solutions that were never really designed for the problem in the first place,

put another way your entire studio room should be using a separate set of circuits from your household appliances.

also check your earthing system. If it is not a starred earth system - all earth lines running back to a single earth/ground spike - you may end up with ground loop problems caused by imbalances in the perceived resistance to ground each item in your studio sees - electricity prefers to run along the path of least resistance.

I'll do up a better explanation of ground loop issues if you want

Thanks! I really appreciate all the help. I have decided though that what I want in my studio is a dedicated space for music that is comfortable. My basement would cost at least $1000 to make comfortable. I watched a video on a person with a studio in a 6'x11' room and thought I would do similar. I have just emptied my room which has carpeting, 60 sq. Ft. of space, heating, cooling, and a router for maximum speeds from Ethernet connections. I'm sure it will work great and won't cost much to acoustically treat.

No refrigerator though, :shame:

When I moved into my house one of the first things I did was figure out what what power points are connected, so what I did was plugged my Ghetto Blaster into each power point and listened as I flicked off the switches at the fuse box.

as good as any a method.

Newer installations are supposed to identify circuit breaker number on the power point eliminating the need to do such a test....

That's a good idea and it would have saved me from running around....oh well I guess it could have been worse had I been trying to use a lamp or something I suppose.

You guys have all been such a great help. A room not connected to the rest of the house won't make a difference to much now as this is the only room I have been able to set up in. I have finished my set up and i think it looks nice so far. I plan on ordering 2 Auralex SonoLites to absorb early reflections.

IMG_0858[1].JPG
My Biggest problem is the lack of space for my Korg Micro Key. I was thinking of just getting a full sized midi controller keyboard and putting it on a stand to the right of the desk.

PS. this picture doesnt show my MPD

One of the things I hate about laptops is how much desk real estate they take up, like I have a big ass tower system and the only computer shit I have on my desk is two screens and my wireless mouse and a keyboard tucked away in a draw for when I need it.

One of the things I hate about laptops is how much desk real estate they take up, like I have a big ass tower system and the only computer shit I have on my desk is two screens and my wireless mouse and a keyboard tucked away in a draw for when I need it.

I know what your saying man. After I some basic room treatment I plan on buying a new desktop. There are i7 processors with 6gb ram for just $500 :)

Back