KRK Rokit 5 with KRK 10S setup help

rxsoundz

Hello Future Producers!

Having trouble setting up my KRK monitors and sub. I've used monitors plenty but have never set up a sub with monitors before so... not sure what I'm doing wrong - or even exactly what I'm going for. The instructions in the 10s manual say to set the HPF to 80 hz, play the low band pink noise and set the volume of the sub to 85db using SPL meter or app on "C" setting. I did all that but setting the sub volume to 85db on the meter means turning the volume on the sub almost all the way down to nothing.

I assume I'm doing something wrong?

The manual also has the instructions for setting up the monitors to work with the sub. It says to play the high frequency pink noise and set the volume on the monitors until they reach 85db on the meter, etc. That part worked just fine - so I don't think it's my meter.

I got my Google on and found a few videos on this subject but nothing specific to this situation. Complicating matters, I found people saying things from "set the Rokit 5 monitors to 6db (max) and then adjust your sub to the same level on your meter" to "just play some tracks and set it to what 'feels' right"...

KRK doesn't say anything about adjusting the HF and LF knobs on the monitors when using them with a sub but would that have anything to do with it?

At the most basic level, I'm assuming the idea is simply to set the low frequencies (the sub) and the mid/high frequencies (the monitors) to the proper "ratio" or "flat eq" so that the bass coming from the sub doesn't overpower or mask other frequencies coming from the monitors. This way you can turn the volume on your mixer/interface, etc up or down all you want and the ratio or eq will always be the same... right?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer with this!

Back