Thread: Issues with equipment. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Unhappy Issues with equipment. Can anyone help?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey, everyone! My name is Kira Darling. My stage name is DARL!NG. I'm new to the forum. Thanks for having me!

I am trying to get my home studio set up, and I've been at it for months. It's not going very well. After a LOT of trial and error, I no longer have any ideas to fix my issues. I'll try to explain without taking too much time.

I am using a computer. I can't get my microphone to pick up much sound at all. I bought several different microphones types, each with different connections, from cheap as hell to more "expensive" but that didn't fix anything.

My favorite is a QFX M-158 with an XLR connection. I used the computer setting to amplify the sound, but it barely made a difference, and the level boost option made it have a horrible static sound. I decided to buy a InnoGear power box but that literally did nothing at all.

I've used different adapters to convert the XLR into USB but that didn't help. I converted to AUX but that didn't help.

I literally don't know what to do! I'm running out of the few funds I can allocate into this project. If someone could give me some cheap options, I would be eternally grateful!!! Thanks you!!

~ DARL!NG
    Music is my passion. Rapping is my drug.

Thanks
    use a compressor on the microphone. Assign it to a mixer track and boost the dB with the gain on the compressor. microphones do tend to be quieter than when recording other instruments.
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 03-23-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks. I just looked online for a compressor. Do you know where I could find a cheap one? I've spent a ton already.
    Music is my passion. Rapping is my drug.

Thanks
    They should come with your software. What DAW are you using? (Pro tools/ FL Studio/ logic)

Look in the plug-ins folder of your software. it should have a compressor. Just assign the microphone to a mixer track, and attach the compressor to that mixer (vocal) track. And raise the dB of it.

If what you're using doesn't come with a compressor, you can download a free one here: Best Free Compressor VST/AU Plugins!

but you have to look online on how to install it within your software. I can help more though if ya need anything.

Thanks

Thanks
    You probably want to get an audio interface with mic preamplifiers for this - they provide clean gain for your mics to get a decent level without too much noise. If you can spare about $100, you'll get a decent starter unit like Focusrite's Scarlett Solo or Steinberg's UR12 (there are cheaper alternatives, but those are very popular and well-supported).

A compressor would kind of work, but as I'm guessing you're using the computer's built in sound chip & its mic input, it's probably fairly noisy to begin with, and using a comp to pull up the levels will probably make this even more evident.
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thread Information