Interfaces/multi-track outputs

balls of metal

Hey, I'll make this short and simple. I have a digital mixer, first 8 channels have a direct out and there is 8 sub-group outs as well. Up until now, i've been using a portable, 2-channel USB interface at home. Now, I use all kinds of pro gear at school, but it's already wired... I have no idea what I'd need, nor how to correctly wire it. Obviously the whole "out goes to in" type stuff I'm well familiar with, but advanced setups are much more than just out--->in. I'm only going to be running to PT/REAPER, so I guess I'm looking for a 16x16 interface. My mixer has all the inputs/pre's I need, I honestly just need the I/O for multitracking, as my mixers USB output only offers 2 mono channels, or 1 stereo channel via the 2-mix. So, I don't need one of those rack-mountable, oversized versions of a FastTrack Duo, if you know what I mean. What I'm looking for is simply I/O flexibility for multitracking from my mixer. I have USB and Firewire capability at the moment. What kinds of reasonably priced (ie. NOT $2,000) options are out there, as most of the results I've found are from GuitarCenter type retailers and they're all the "oversized FastTrack Duo" type of interface that I'm not looking for. Thanks for any help.

And, why do you need 16 simultaneous inputs? Are you planning on doing a lot of live tracking (full band, choir, etc.) or multi-channel/multi-track drum recording?

GJ

The selection is surprisingly slim when you just want a lot of line level i/o - in fact the only single-unit solution I can think of off the top of my head is the MOTU 16A - which is not exactly cheap. Not quite $2k, but not far off...

If you're willing to go the 8 i/o + ADAT expansion route, there are possibly more options. I'm currently running a Focusrite Pro40 with a Behringer ADA8000 for a total of 16 inputs & outputs - pretty much what you're asking for, but of course there are preamps in this setup.

My synth/drum machine/sound module collection has been steadily increasing over the last few years... I keep saying I'm gonna get a larger interface than my 2i2 but I've been getting more toys and running stuff into a 5 channel mixer then out to the focusrite...
Rolands Studio Capture is the interface that's most caught my own attention.

:angel:
I'm also using ADA8000 Ultra Gain Pro units to give me extra i/o via lightpipe. They work well but I've had a few develop strange glitchy/distortion issues making them unusable after a while. They connect to my M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge interface which gives me 32 channels of high res i/0

Back