I think my speakers are to close?

Dennis1990

I have my speakers about a foot and a half away from me when producing music.
*facing outward though*

My ears usually feel like they are clogged when I put 808's in my music.

Should I mix my 808's better?

Or is the speakers just too close???

too close - they should be the same distance apart as they are from your ears - I generally find that this means they are about 5' from me for near-field monitors and closer to 12' for far-field

And they should be pointing at *you*, not facing outwards. You & the speakers should form an equilateral triangle, more or less.

They are way too close, try just moving your chair back sometimes when you are just listening to the beat to give your ears a break

Well first off, what kind of speakers...and secondly...if your wondering about speaker placement...here is the "idea"...

For "small near field studio monitors", you can be about 3 feet from. Medium sized monitors about 6 feet and large, well, build a "professional" studio...

NOW...you can't just have them "anywhere"...

You need to sit in the middle of left and right, middle of the room. AND, your studio monitors need to be POINTING AT YOU. Meaning you are looking directly at them. Pointing them away from you is a no go, that's what you do in your living room for friends while you watch a movie.

Basic role of thumb, your two speakers and your head need to be in a perfect triangle, and...you need to treat your room first, before you even think about mastering. I wrote a basic concept at my site, liftedCREATION - Building a Home Studio.

Even if you don't have pro-grade equipment, you should at least follow the basic science of sound and how it reacts and if you do, you will achieve better results.

Now, if you bought great studio monitors and failed to acoustically treat your room, then you need to re-setup your studio and treat your room acoustically.

You can't just, "move your chair back", sure sure, you will be farther from the sound but the point is, mathematically, sound is a science, and it's best to learn it now than later. You want to be in the "sweet spot" and you want to know how to achieve this.

I take exception to one statement you make lifted: you need to be 1/3 into the longest dimension of the room not at the halfway point (at 1/3 you are less likely to be affected by the room resonance modes of the long and short walls)

see this

Sound Proofing vs. Sound Treatment

I completely agree bandcoach, I realize in the exact middle of the room is not the correct way to say it, in the middle of the left and right fields is what I mean, and yes you want to be 1/3 in that space from back to front...does that make it easier to picture? Thanks for the heads up.

It's hard to describe, really a picture would do this so much more justice. I am not even close to a sound expert, but I did notice that once I just applied some of these pro tips my music sounded way better.

I read your post the first thing when I logged on and I hope you don't mind but I added a link to your post from my site:
liftedCREATION - Building a Home Studio

I will change that that part about the sitting position on my site. Really, there is TONS of info out there, videos, books...I mean, it's just a matter of a cup of coffee and 20 mins of time to watch a video or read your wonderful post!

EDIT and UPDATE:
Ok, this is what I have on my site...any better?

Initial Studio Set Up.
You want to be sitting in the middle of the left and right field of your studio space, and sitting 1/3 from the front to back and you want to be facing the shortest wall. So, get out a ruler and measure, is your chair, where you are listening to your music in the middle of the left and right fields and 1/3 from front to back of the studio room? If not, your going to have to rearrange.

Nice work bandcoach!

Last edited:
Back