I think i need some foam

Dirt Dog

yeah Imma go wit the Events.
but yea everybody told me imma need foam, I never used them.
but if imma do something, i rether do it right.

My room is a Living room but its bout a good 10X16 FT? im not good wit measurement. but thats a good estimate. but yea its pretty small.

can somebody hook me up?

im thinking about getting the SE - Reflexion Filter for my Mic

but i need some help for room treatment for monitoring. help me please

You don't need foam. You need broadband absorption & bass trapping. Your room dimensions are well less than ideal - Assuming you have an 8' ceiling, you've got your work cut out for you. Floor to ceiling traps in all four corners and high center corners at the very minimum.

You might need a sheet or two of foam to tackle a flutter here and there, but you won't even be able to really zero in on that until the low end is under control. You could probably do well with killing the wall behind you - But you'd be much better off killing it with broadband traps than foam. Your sweet spot is at 6.1'. Your "crap" spot is at 8' and it's about as crappy as you can get (being 1:2 with the length - again, assuming an 8' ceiling). There's not a lot of room for error.

Last edited by a moderator:
whats broadband traps ? and can you show me?

so basiclly i need to get them, and put them in the top corners of all 4 walls, and fill my back wall with it by

imma newbie wit this stuff sorry im not catching on quicker but i am re-reading your post tho. can you a lil bit more.

ight i did some re search and found it on http://www.readyacoustics.com thinks.

i forgot to mention one thing, its a living room/my room, but i be forgotting this all the time, im forgetting a wall, but yet im moving , so my best bet is too Order a nice mixing package off this site? when I move? and it should handle everything? even for a mic? and mixing and monitoring?

Last edited:
A decent room is a decent room no matter what the purpose. Although you'll probably configure things differently for different purposes to some extent -

Anyway - Specifically, I'd be looking at some traps that are a bit more effective. GIK's (www.gikacoutsics.com) "244's" come to mind. A freakish bargain in the world of broadband absorption. A room around your size will *START* to "tame" itself a little with 6-8 traps. But the more, the merrier. I currently have... uh... 25 traps (3 are custom oversized pieces with far more area than the normal 2'x4' traps) from GIK and RealTraps (the "Rolls Royce" of broadband absorption).

Of course, the vertical corners - Rear (behind you) first, then front, then high horizontal corners (up to your sides and front & back). The nice thing about it is that you really can't have too much - The worst thing that can happen is the best thing that can happen - No low end reflection.

Ain't gonna happen either - So don't worry about it.

On the other hand, it's dreadfully simple to over-apply foam products, kill any semblance of ambience, and wind up with a terribly muddy sounding room.

Hey Dirt Dog,

I think Massive has you headed in the right direction. No matter what you are doing in that room (as it relates to sound/ audio) you'll want to control room resonances and reflections. This will help you hear your mix/ recording, etc and not the room. The idea is to take as much of the "room" out of the recording (unless it has usable reverb; which many small rooms do not) or listening experience as possible and to help your ears focus on the pure sound from your sound source (speakers, vocalist, etc).

Bass traps (pre-made or DIY) will help reduce room resonances and tighten low end. Treating areas closer to your listening position with acoustically absorbent materials will help eliminate sound that bounces of surfaces and into your ears. The goal is to create an environment where you hear little or none of the reflected sound, and only that which is produced directly from your sound source.

The sE filter is a very good piece of equipment, but may not be what you really need. (and the mechanical attachment for this device is a true nightmare). Concentrate on absorptive materials to treat the entire room, and be careful not to over treat. That is wasted money.

There are terrific DIY plans for building broadband absorbers (those that do not feature and bonded membrane or that are tuned) everywhere on the internet and many of them will yield a bass trap/ acoustic panel that will perform as well if not better than the most expensive pre-made options out there.

Again, I think Massive has you steered in the right direction in that treating the entire room is a better overall solution that will pay dividends for many moons to come.

Cheers,

Joel DuBay
ReadyAcoustics.com

Back