How to sync/setup Pro Tools LE (DIGI001) and MPC2000XL via MIDI/MMC/Clock

S

shawnflint

This can be an infuriating topic because of the fact neither AKAI or Digidesign have any mention of making this type of "connection" and there are so many options and switches to configure, you sometimes never know if you're getting anywhere.

This guide will get you going fast. I'm a Hip Hop producer, and even though I charge for studio time, I don't like wasting it. And without the MPC and Pro Tools talking to each other as they should, you really are not getting your money's worth out of these things.

What you will end up with is a perfect scenario where your MPC2000XL sequences are triggered instantly when you press play (or rec+play) in Pro Tools LE. There should be no lag, space, or other problem which requires editing or pre-roll or any of that.

If all is said and done and working perfectly, you will save countless hours by just hitting rec+play and tracking your sequences a track at a time, and they will all be in time and
line up perfectly in Pro Tools.

MIDI cables, Pro Tools, and the MPC2000XL, to my knowledge, do not "know" when they are hooked up; they are not like USB cables, so don't fret about that. Just follow these directions and know that this DOES work, can be replicated, and is a great way to save you hours and hours of studio time.

MPC2000XL

1. You only need 1 cable to make this sync trick work. Start by plugging a MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT port of your DIGI001.
2. Plug the other end into the MIDI IN port of your MPC. Either 1 or 2 is fine.
3. Hit Shift+9 on your MPC, bringing up the MIDI/Sync page.
4. On the left side is Sync In, set the (In:1) to correspond to the port you plugged in from step 2.
5. Next, Mode should be set to MIDI Clock.
6. Shift Early can be left at 0.
7. Receive MMC should be set to ON.

Your MPC is now ready to receive MIDI sync commands from Pro Tools. Hit the MAIN SCREEN button to return to the main MPC window. If you don't, you won't hear your sequences when triggered. I don't know why, but if you leave it on the MIDI/Sync page, it screws things up.

Pro Tools LE

1. Click Setups>Peripherals menu, then click the Synchronization tab
2. Set Device drop down to Generic MMC Reader
3. Set Port to DIGIDESIGN DIGI001
4. Minimum Sync Delay is set at 30, but this is irrelevant
5. UNCHECK the "Enable Control of Pro Tools LE via MMC" checkbox (if it was checked)
6. Click the Machine Control tab
7. UNCHECK the ENABLE box (if it was checked)
8. The other two tabs are not necessary in our example
9. Click OK to exit the Peripherals dialog box.
10. Using the Pro Tools transport window, click the Clock icon, (or use the menu Operations>Online, or hit CTRL J)
11. The Clock icon now flashes.
12. Click the MIDI menu, then click Change Tempo.
13. Match Pro Tools tempo with your MPC sequence tempo. If your sequence is all MIDI notes or is a loop that can
be tempo adjusted without gap or spacing problems, you can change the tempo right in Pro Tools, and it will change it on the MPC all in real-time. This is very slick!

When you hit play (or rec+play) in Pro Tools, your MPC tempo should display (EXT) where the Tempo once was, but only during play. Also, you can use Pro Tools transport to FF or REW and it will move the time code display in the MPC.

What's also amazing is that if you set your Pro Tools session to bars|beats, and then click the FF or REW buttons, they play head will jog forward a bar or back a bar, and even show this right on the MPC. This is sync, baby!

These steps are not foolproof, there is often SOMETHING that can go wrong, but these are the steps I used to get it working, and my setup is basic and this step alone is now saving me hours and headaches not having to hand-edit the tracks that are off because I recorded them at-will in Pro Tools.

This is how things are supposed to be! :p

Enjoy, and happy MIDI synching.

Shawn Flint
Seattle, WA

P.S. A client brought in an ASRXPRO (ASR X PRO) and we got it to do the same thing in Pro Tools; just set your MIDI to "sync ext clocks" and it will work great.

but i still cant record my track it pauses and thats it. what should my preroll frames setting 30 40 100 175 i dont know help please please please

jmar773 said:
but i still cant record my track it pauses and thats it. what should my preroll frames setting 30 40 100 175 i dont know help please please please

On protools, I forget which tab it is but look for midi> midi beat clock and you should see the mpc on a list of the equiptment you have hook up... Check the box and see if that helps...

when i did it this way everything works fine . i have 1 problem. when i record ...the first part of whatever sound i am recording is cut off by a half of a second and makes a clipping /popping noise or the sound is low then continues at its original volume . it seems as if there is a slight delay... very small delay. how do i rid of this delay

thanks for a great post!

great SECOND post too! WAY TO GO!

THank you for being on FP.
THis is something which we are going to cover in our next video tutorial BTW, it's also nice to have it all typed in the forum

Last edited:
ok now I have a question... Does anyone know how to do this with an MV-8000? I know its possible to master everything in my mv but I rather use pro tools for some VST's and also because the levels will be 100% correct. I'm still going to be laying my beats out in the MV but I will be purchasing the 8 output board and getting the Delta 1010 rack so that I can record into PT alot faster. If anyone knows how to set up the sync, it would be greatly appreciated!

Great Post. I am trying to sync up my motif but I got lost on step 12 on the pro tools side. Which "Midi menu" are you refering to?

UPDATE: Never mind I figured it out. For those of you using a Motif, all you have to do is go to Setup>Midi>Midi Beat Clock and select the Mbox (assuming that is what you connected the Motif to) and you're in business. Don't even have to click the little clock on the transport! With that you can trigger the motif to play when you hit the space bar-It even stops after the four bar loop automatically!

However, you may need to do more if you want more sophisticated control.

Thanks,

SoProper

UPDATE: Never mind I figured it out. For those of you using a Motif, all you have to do is go to Setup>Midi>Midi Beat Clock and select the Mbox (assuming that is what you connected the Motif to) and you're in business. Don't even have to click the little clock on the transport! With that you can trigger the motif to play when you hit the space bar-It even stops after the four bar loop automatically!

However, you may need to do more if you want more sophisticated control.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Okay, here's my situation where i need help. I'm using MPC 2000 XL with Pro-tools 7.1 via Digi-002...I'm trying to sync them through midi to track out my beats...so I did the setting on pro-tools (midi setup) and created a new instrument (akai, mpc...) but to set up the ports (midi in port and midi out port) i don't have an option to select my midi in and out coming from MPC, all I have is "none" as option!!!! does anyone know what i need to do? I looked on the manual, online...but no answer.

Thanks,
Hammadi

[/QUOTE]
Pro Tools LE

.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know why I am only able to select "Generic MTC Reader"?
Generic MMC Reader does not show up on the drop down menu. Also on the port, "Digidesign 001" does not show up as well. I had it working before.
Thanks for any help!

I am currently working with the MPC 1000 and Mbox 2, will this work for it as well?

The reason I ask is because everything is different in my LE than what I'm reading. In the MTC Reader and Generator There are 2 ports, should I set both of those to MPC 2000? and go from there?

Last edited:
Pro Tools LE

Does anyone know why I am only able to select "Generic MTC Reader"?
Generic MMC Reader does not show up on the drop down menu. Also on the port, "Digidesign 001" does not show up as well. I had it working before.
Thanks for any help!

I am having the same issue, I sync this up before, kinda got away from it for a while using Cubase and moving out the country, so I forgot how my stuff works. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
micro korg problems

Whats going on everyone just checking in. Im knew at this producing thing So im gonna have alot of questions for cats if yall don't mine.

Mr. Me Too

kuntree dogg said:
Whats going on everyone just checking in. Im knew at this producing thing So im gonna have alot of questions for cats if yall don't mine.

I new t this as well, so don't feel bad...ask away...LOL!

Back