how to start off my studio

DJGEEZY34

wats good fp i just came up on some money and i need to no wat should i have 2 start off my studio
for example things for my producing part of it later i will up grade to the part for recording with artists any suggestions ?

Your still abit unclear.

Do you want us to tell you what equipment you should buy?
Or what you should do to start making beats?

BenL said:
Your still abit unclear.

Do you want us to tell you what equipment you should buy?
Or what you should do to start making beats?

wat equipment i should buy rite now i got fl studio xxl some vsts and a stero to pump all these beats out go 2 ma myspace n tell me if im any good

Well, if you dont have a decent one already I would go with a good audio interface (MOTU and RME come to mind). Then I would go with a good mic preamp (Grace 101, FMR RNP, P-Solo, etc...) and a good mic. Decent monitors, and of course, the most important thing, room treatment. Youre only as good as your ears are and your ears are only as good as the room allows them to be. All of this has been gone over here thousands of times.

rabblerouser said:
Well, if you dont have a decent one already I would go with a good audio interface (MOTU and RME come to mind). Then I would go with a good mic preamp (Grace 101, FMR RNP, P-Solo, etc...) and a good mic. Decent monitors, and of course, the most important thing, room treatment. Youre only as good as your ears are and your ears are only as good as the room allows them to be. All of this has been gone over here thousands of times.

so thats bout it to have a good recording studio rite ? i get wat ur say and the producing part is all up to me to decide wat hings i wanna buy to become hot

If you are not planning to record vocals, or it's not critical, i'd start with good moniters and a good soundcard. The soundcard may be negilable right now if you are just using your computer and you arn't recording but it will be great for when you upgrade. Plus you want the best sound you can get.

My first 3 purchaces, in order-Soundcard, mixer, moniters. And from their i started adding other things like hardware for production (now i'm software based), signal processors, mics, etc.

3D Beats said:
If you are not planning to record vocals, or it's not critical, i'd start with good moniters and a good soundcard. The soundcard may be negilable right now if you are just using your computer and you arn't recording but it will be great for when you upgrade. Plus you want the best sound you can get.

My first 3 purchaces, in order-Soundcard, mixer, moniters. And from their i started adding other things like hardware for production (now i'm software based), signal processors, mics, etc.

yea i feel you on that one i mite go and buy pro tools cause im into recording some people then again i still make beats so.. . i mite just up grade everything but thanks guys the info was useful

DJGEEZY34 said:
i get wat ur say and the producing part is all up to me to decide wat hings i wanna buy to become hot

If you've got FL studio - other than a decent audio interface & a controller, you have everything you 'need' (as long as you're not dealing with recording vocals). You might want new toys and the might help inspire you but there's nothing else you need.

Main thing it's going to take is time, dedication and practice. A willingness to learn & study wouldn't hurt things much.

I agree, From the sound of it, You arnt too much into actual "recording", So id leave the mic's, mic pre's, ect out of it.

You have FL studio.. Do you like it? I PERONSALLY, like it much better than reason. Maybe had i of learned reason first, it may of turned out different. But so far, FL dont limit me one bit.

If you like FL studio, Stick with it, And upgrade sounds, ect.

Your talking about upgrading "EVERYTHING". That may be the worse thing to do, As im sure you couldnt just walk into Guitar center and come out with your dream studio at the moment [Atleast, Without a big bill at GC.]. Meaning you'll have to skimp out on important area's, for not so important area's.

If i were you, Id look into these item's:

Things you basically can't be without:
- sound card -E-MU 0404 sound card [This, would be something id Definantly get, if your still running onboard sound.]
- Monitors - KRK rocket 5, or 8's. [Id also look into these, or a nice pair of headphones (Senhieser 280HD's are my fav.), as itll give you a feel of what your truely producing. Im still using a home theater system, Which colors the sound, meaning to me, it sounds good. to someone with monitor's, Sounds like junk.]

More sounds [We all know FL is limited.]:
-Emu Mo Phatt module
-NI KOMPLETE [Mainly Battery, And KONTACT.]
-Sample tank
-A decent Turntable + Pre-amp, And records to sample from.

Hands on / controllers:
-AKIA MPD16 [Or if you must have the fancier version's, Id go KORG PADKONTROL.]
-M-Audio Radium49 [Or you could skip the MPD/KORG, And go with a M-audio axiom, which has 8 pad's, and 25/49/61 key's, along with various knobs / fader's. For about the same price as both unit's.]

[Dont get me wrong, Theres different option's, This is just the route I would / Am taking.]

That list alone would make a guy with just FL7 VERY happy for a while, Provided they didnt get overwhelmed with the learning curve, And is basically the cheap / Budget way to go, with a software set-up.

Someone mentioned a mixer. I dont see where you'll need one, Untill you start adding multiple sound sources, Ect. Dont skimp here, But dont get it if you dont need it.

Last edited:
Back