how to get started in such a room?

Jackdamnielz

Hello there guys,

Recently i decided to re do my 'home' studio. before i just had a desk setup with a pc and some monitors, but i decided to do it right this time.

the problem that i am facing is the fact that i have a leaning wall (diagonal) on one side in the room, and i am not sure how i should setup my studio. the side with the leaning wall is a bit longer then the other two sides but i was thinking to place my desk and monitors so that they are facing away from that inclined wall. Would that be wise?

Also how do i place bass traps in the corners of inclined walls? do i let them hang, or would it be better to really go alongside the wall?

Here are 2 simple paint drawing of how my room kinda looks like.

(view from above)
http://i64.tinypic.com/15gtcfd.jpg

(view from the side)
http://i64.tinypic.com/ra47bc.jpg

Last edited:
Her ive got a more clearer drawing of the room

http://i66.tinypic.com/i4edeu.jpg

Im a bit confused here. Im not sure where to place my Desk.

I guess it would be best to face the leaning Wall right? So that im having two vertical walls on my side. Another thing i am having a hard Time with is what to do with the Window? Should i fill it up so i can place acoustic elementen or is it better to keep it open for more sunlight ??

Im really looking for some advice on this because i am not sure would a complete dark room be better lighted with some nice led lights?

Or a room with some sunlight

I can't get your jpg's to open-up for me, but just going on your description (without any visual, dimensions, or acoustic data, mind you), I'd say you have some positives and negatives going for you, just like anybody else with a non-purpose-built room. Studios and control rooms that are designed as such will always have the advantage. The rest of us have to deal with the spaces we have available, the doors and windows and walls where they are...

The non-parallel wall should actually work in your favor. As far as bass traps, you need to fill the corners with dense material, regardless of the angle or amount of corner that you have. So if you need to stuff two bass traps into a corner (or cut one down), or add stuff like bean bag chairs, then do that. But if you control corners, and add some foam and/or diffusors to the walls to cut down some of the highs and the reflections, you will be doing ok. As far as desk and monitor placement, again, you'll have to deal with the architectural features of your environment, but optimally, you'd want... Well, there are two schools of thought on this. You can find research to back up placing your gear aligning with the "short wall," or the opposite (along the "long wall"). I would have gone "short" in my control room, but those architectural features (doors and windows) were where they were, not where I wanted them. That, and power availability lead us to align with the longer wall. BUT, probably the most important part, beyond room treatment, is not having your monitors directly against (or too close) to the wall, or in a corner. If you can get that back a few feet, that would be better.

If I understand your description correctly, and you have the opportunity based on room construction, I would not align with the long/angled wall. I'd go with the short wall, with the angled wall to your side. All of that to say, "hard to say," without knowing a lot more about your room...

GJ

Last edited:
oh here is the working link sorry!

https://postimg.org/image/c5oyv77ab/

Would it not matter to have a inclined wall on of of my sides?

If i would face the wall i would be sitting with my back towards to smallest wall in the room. the setup then would have more depth. if i would have the inclined wall on my side i would have less depth and more width. What is the best option?

If i would face the wall i would be sitting with my back towards to smallest wall in the room. the setup then would have more depth. if i would have the inclined wall on my side i would have less depth and more width. What is the best option?

Yep... I'd face the leaning wall with my chair positioned roughly in the centre of the room.

My own home studio is in the attic, and due to the hatch/ladder entry and eaved roof on 3 sides there's only really 2 positions I can set up in.
i have the desk set up under one eave with rockwool panels under the eave behind me.
Theres a vertical wall to my right with my keyboard and mic set up (the only point in the room I can stand at full height) and the 3rd eave to my left...

Your ur room is easy in comparison! Ha Ha!!

Back