How to fix room resonance?

Jade Cicada

I recently got my studio set up, some acoustic foam to catch the early reflections and I'm getting bass traps in a couple days.

One thing I've noticed is that my room resonates heavily at 132Hz (C) and the following 5 or 6 overtones to that note also resonate quite heavily.

Will the Bass traps help alleviate this resonance? Any other suggestions as to what I can do to fix this?

Thanks <3

slat resonators/absorbers

bass traps

broadband resonators/absorbers

are all solutions to your problems

see this and follow the links to learn much more than it covers

I recently got my studio set up, some acoustic foam to catch the early reflections and I'm getting bass traps in a couple days.

One thing I've noticed is that my room resonates heavily at 132Hz (C) and the following 5 or 6 overtones to that note also resonate quite heavily.

Will the Bass traps help alleviate this resonance? Any other suggestions as to what I can do to fix this?

Thanks <3

Have you got any more details of your room, dimensions, floor plan, pictures etc?

Thanks <3

Bass traps will help, no question. You should first try and apply everything that bandcoach said, and in addition if you like, you should look into the ARC2 System by IK Multimedia. I know it has mixed reviews and a lot of the guys on here may disagree with me, but I had very similar standing wave problems, gave it a go and the difference is night and day. I now trust my speakers with much greater confidence, and it (so far) translates very well to most systems. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Don't bother using it without having a real go at proper acoustic treatment though. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
If you know that you are catching resonances at 132 then you can eq them out at that specific spot with an eight band eq. Trying to go the anechoic route for a specific frequency seems a lot tougher.

Like other folks have said, you can use a room modeling plugin to alter everything your monitors pump out, but that also requires your head to remain in the same mix position the entire time. I'd attempt to make the room more accurate as a whole before I went that route. And I'd definitely start with bass traps, not only in the corners but at the long ends of the room, centered on the walls. You can always reference with flat response headphones too to double check your mixes. I hate the idea of becoming "accustomed" to a room though. It's like ear training but purposefully messing up your ears.

Back