How effective are portable sound booths?

Tayker

I'm thinking of something like this - Sound Booth Prices - Soundproof Booth Prices to put in my basement.

Would the small frame of the sound booth have any effect on the recordings? I'm just brainstorming ways to record my hiphop vocals because I tend to have aggressive, metal sounding bars to my rap and loud screaming effects that I seem to use fairly often in my song writing.

I have seen quite a few of these on ebay. For cheaper than you would think.
I thinking of getting one as a good clean recording room for vocals.

Looks interesting, those prices on that link do not look fun however. I am not sure on the structure quality or build quality, but for it truly to be "isolated" it would need to be an airtight room inside of a room, separated from the floor and ceiling as well. These look like they may do it, but personally for the price I think you could get a lot further with some mattresses

OK this is a debatable topic because the idea behind it is that you are trying to eliminate unwanted room reflections. One side is that room reflections from walls and furniture add character to a sound and give it a uniqueness. The other side is that you will get a boxy sound that sounds dead. The truth is is that it won't sound dead it will just give you the raw sound. In which you can always add those effects with whatever vsts or DAWs your using. If you have a sound with too much reverb it will be much harder to take it out than trying to add reverb to a sound with none in it.

I built one myself many moons ago. It's not very portable, you know. Heavy as crap. But anyways, they are fantastic if the interior is filled with the proper acoustic insulation, and then the inside walls have reflection panels. The thing is, if they are small, you'll get quite a boomy bass that you'll have to EQ out. Try not to get into the corner if you can. Yes, they are very worth the price if you can't do full construction or afford "real" acoustic treatment for an entire room.

Back