How to compare the sound of 2 different speakers ? (HS80M and HS8)

baniza

Hey everyone,

I already posted this post in a different section. I think acoustic would be the right one (saw no speaker section)..

I`m studying audio engineering and want to compare 2 speakers (yamaha HS80M and HS8) as a research project.

One part is to compare both on the sound quality/ differences.

I`ll involve 20-30 other audio engineering students in my test. I thought about placing both speakers horizontally and on top of each other (with foam inbetween and the upper ones tilted downwards, so that both speakers emit the sound in a straight line to the ears).
All that in a mixing studio with proper acoustics and on te speakers on monitor stands fbehind the console (for comb filter optimization..)

I want to know about the difference in frequency (or general sound) and impulse response. It will be an A/B comparison.
Now my question: What signals should I use ?

Maybe a Bass and an acoustic-guitar file, both good for analyzing differences in tone and impulse response I think.
Maybe different files, that cover different frequency parts (Bass for lower Hz, Guitar for middle Hz, Hihat for upper HZ,.. or else)

Do you have any suggestions regarding general survey setup and which sound/ files to use ?

Thanks folks,

Ferdinand

maybe find some test tones, with specific Hz, set up an oscilloscope see which frequencies are hearable/are actually coming through. Then compare different files, bass tones, and i would use natural instruments, like you said, guitars, pianos or percussions for a mid/hi response.

just thinking off the top of my head here!

Back