Which home studio would you use?

bro i think if u want just to record your vocals on top of beats, this room is totally fine...
A DECENT headphone for start will be fine too.. OF COURSE, if u want a high quality result, u should consider to buy a pair of monitors.. But i think with a decent headphone, u can listen to other peoples mixes and have an ideia of volume and maybe EQ for your vocals..
i think u can record vocals anywhere.. of course theres specific places for that, but if u know how to work i think u can have a nice result!

I pretty much cosign what dee said. Niether situation sounds ideal but for just recording vocals I suppose the small space with the bed is the better option lmao. As far as headphones, I'd say they'd be adequate for putting your vocals on top of other beats. Adding vocals to an instrumental still requires some "mixing" (arguably vocals are the hardest thing to mix correctly) so monitors would be more appropriate, but you obviously gotta work with what ya got.
Are you adding treatment or something to deaden the room your recording in ?(ie: a lot of vocal booths are completely dead, no reflection,or in case of larger ones you want to kill early reflecti0ns..)

Recording at home / building your own home studio is a long trial and error process, so I'd always suggest trying the cheapest method first, seeing if you like the results, and if they aren't what you were looking for then proceed to invest in what would help (but first do research so you don't buy some shit you don't need).
My 2c

Last edited:
Damn... Looks like this is gonna take some time. I do have an average sized room in which I can place monitors in, but that would require room treatment. And as i'm living at home at the moment, my parents wouldnt really allow big panels around the room. Is it possible to get portable acoustic panels and bass traps, so that I can take them down when im not recording/mixing?

Yeah you can purchase removeable / moveable acoustic panels but to be honest with you , you'd be better off researching how to build some DIY cheap panels and save the money (but invest more time). Acoustic treatment is stupidly expensive, and can typically be achieved relatively cheap if you build it yourself. Especially if you're just deadening a room instead of treating it for listening/monitoring. Killing sound is easier than controlling it.

A small room should be fine, the only problem you might face is excess reverb, but since your room has furniture, it might not be too bad. If it is really echo-y I suggest you get a reflexion filter. ( seelectronics(dot)com/reflexion-filter-pro )

Yeah you can purchase removeable / moveable acoustic panels but to be honest with you , you'd be better off researching how to build some DIY cheap panels and save the money (but invest more time). Acoustic treatment is stupidly expensive, and can typically be achieved relatively cheap if you build it yourself. Especially if you're just deadening a room instead of treating it for listening/monitoring. Killing sound is easier than controlling it.

What's the difference between deadening and treating, because if you need room treatment for deadening the sound, then its the same as treating, isnt it?

Back