Home Studio Creation Assistance

INNERSENSE

Hi this is my first post on FP so excuse me if i dont explain my selt correctly :D
Im currently looking to set up a home studio within a small budget (maybe a total of £7-900)
-900) I've looked at several things im going to purchase such as a flexible screen mount, Yamaha HS 5 pair speakers, IsoAcoustics speaker stand, focusrite scarlett 2i2 and lastly a mixer.. Now this is where my problem lies i've looked at so many analog mixers over the past week and am really confused with what to choose and what is best.. They all seem to be prodinantly for live performance so does that mean its no good with mixing tracks?
My budget for a mixer is small compare to what ive seen out there; i'm left with about £4-500 to spend on a mixer.. I currently produce house music and am really trying to get a better sound and fine tuning any inputs i run through it. My first and last desk to use with a friend was the SSL 400 E series or G not sure, had the full loaded kit with compression to matrix and the EQ's were amazing! the amount of control was incredible but ever since i have not been fortunate enough to use it or any other mixer after that so now it puts me to the here and now where im looking to find something that can give me that freedom im after :) and baring in mind im a house/techno producer.. i know theres many of us ahaha :D

81 views and no replies.. first time using a forum for music so this is disappointing, thought forums was about everyone sharing knowledge whatever it may be..

Why a mixer? What are you running into it?
The 2i2 isn't going to allow you to use it to mix OTB
I have a 2i2 and an Alto mixer for getting hardware into my daw/sampler but I'm saving for a soundcard with more I/O because frankly - it's a pain in the arse.
I find the idea of having that kinda budget and going the 2in/2out+mixer route ludicrous to be honest.

If your want is for mixdown as opposed to I/O then you might be better off sticking with a 2in/2out AI and looking at a midi-control-surface with faders and plugin control capabilities...
I use a Presonus FaderPort for the most part (a single 100mm motorised fader + encoder) and have a controller keyboard with knobs and (short throw) faders...
You might want to check out the Behringer X-Touch Compact - Bank of 8 (+ master) motor-faders with nuff knobs and buttons.

And chill out. Couple days ain't shit.

Not vanishing, had some internet issues at home and was struggling to use this website properly through my phone thats all.. I need the help dude lol.. I researched both products and got a better understanding for what they do and can see why this might be the better option; I've got so many great plugins that emulate the much older analog stuff so it seems like a good shout to grab one of those, I currently use maschine hardware to do a similar thing as it brings up all the plugins parameters through maschine software in hardware.. only difference is it doesnt have the faders for any of the channels just a master.. wouldn't maschine be similar to a midi control surface? just without the faders

And safe for getting back to me

Not vanishing, had some internet issues at home and was struggling to use this website properly through my phone thats all.. I need the help dude lol.. I researched both products and got a better understanding for what they do and can see why this might be the better option; I've got so many great plugins that emulate the much older analog stuff so it seems like a good shout to grab one of those, I currently use maschine hardware to do a similar thing as it brings up all the plugins parameters through maschine software in hardware.. only difference is it doesnt have the faders for any of the channels just a master.. wouldn't maschine be similar to a midi control surface? just without the faders

And safe for getting back to me

Are you running Maschine 1.8?!
V2 and onwards of Maschine has a mixer - you can adjust levels, pans and add fx to both groups and sounds as well as the master channel... Every pad has its own mixer channel!!
I use Maschine for most of my production - I track vocals into StudioOne and use a faderport for automations and fades on the both the vocals and group's that I bounce into S1 from Maschine (essentially using S1 as a sort-of-summing-mixer).

Last edited:
And also the 2i2 was for my Arturia Microbrute so i got a tad bit confused in that section
How much external gear do you have?
How many inputs do you need?
I have a turntable (stereo), drum machine (I run it mono), groovebox (I run it stereo) and synth (mono) going into my mixer. Mixer outputs go to 2i2 - Maschine is obvs ITB...
If you only have the one synth - you don't need a hardware mixer.
In my own case I'd be better served by an Audio Interface with more inputs... When I have that I'll be ditching the mixer from my setup.

Yeah im currently running version 1.8, I havent been using the V2 due to it not allowing third party plug-ins and being on el capitan im not sure if i can bridge it with a tried way.. I'm really in ore of Maschine i've had it for roughly 5 maybe 6 years now and am really old fashioned as i prefer the 1.8 version, i know that version like the back of my hand but as far as the in V2 it does make perfect sense to use that instead to achieve what im after in terms of mix.. Are u able to use third party plug ins in V2 as it could be an idea to get the tracks done in 1.8 to which im comfortable with and then take it into 2.0 for levels and mixing.. It would be awesome if Maschine done an external volume fader for each pad with motorised faders for each group

My whole set up is based around Maschine at the moment but i've got that, Mircobrute and M audio oxygen49 and yeah that makes perfect sense have you got any recommendations for AI's? as my main focus is that by the looks of things and also Monitors.. Do you have any experience or know much of the yamaha HS5 if they're a good purchase. Thanks for all your advice so far dude:cheers:

I think that if you're on a budget you should take out the mixer altogether. Mixer's can be expensive af, and unless you're going to splurge and buy an incredibly nice SSL or API, what's the point? Spending money on a smaller mixer may make your studio look more legit, but I don't think it's practical. Is your sound going to benefit from running individual tracks through a budget mixer? Probably not. You've got a perfectly good mixer in your DAW and if you want an analog sound there's plenty of plugins for that. Additionally, you could always just purchase an analog summing mixer which would allow you sum all your tracks through it, giving an analog sound and avoiding having to purchase an entire mixer (although analog summing mixer is probably minimum what your entire budget is). You don't need a mixer for EDM bruh, I went through the whole process too and decided it's not worth it. However, to each their own. one <3

You need the essentials, so invest money into the best you can of those essentials.

Interface - very important
Monitors - very important
Headphones - important
Mic - very important
Room treatment - important

You don't need a mixer. If you're just doing vocals, get the best interface with 2in and 2out. You only need 1 input for vocals. Apollo Twin Duo, Apogee Duet2, RME Babyface Pro are my suggestions.

Back