Home Studio (coming Soon)

S

SILENTRIVERZ

I'm thinking about building a "HOME STUDIO". Yes, I want a home studio, but that doesn't mean I don't want to make quality music. I would like for it to sound as professional as possible. My main focus is reggae/dancehall music, but i'm also into hip-hop.

I would like to make my own Riddims (beats) and record vocals.

If i'm thinking of investing about $10,000.00 to start. What would be a good suggestion in regards to equipment, software, etc.

1. When it comes to software i'm thinking about programs like (any other suggestions are welcomed) :
Reason 2.5 (FOR BEATS)
Cubase Sx (FOR RECORDING VOCALS)

2. Couldn't I just buy a good quality midi keyboard (like a KORG TRITON) and use modules. Instead of buying mutiple keyboards.

3. Would I still need a drum machine like the MPC2000XL.

4. Also would I be able to use a digital mixing board (such as the Yamaha 01V) with programs such as cubase?

5. I will be buying a good custom PC with atleast 200 gigs

6. Besides the equipment for the recording booth (mics, headphones, etc.) What else would I need in regards to hardware and software?

I'm still learning and sure is hell don't plan on throwing my money into all of this without gaining knowledge. I'm still in the process of learning and that's why i'm asking all these questions (some which may sound like "common sense " to most of you).

I'm trying to get a job at any good recording studio so I can learn, but there not very interested in hiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
SILENTRIVERZ said:
I'm still learning and sure is hell don't plan on throwing my money into all of this without gaining knowledge. I'm still in the process of learning and that's why i'm asking all these questions (some which may sound like "common sense " to most of you).
Seems like you know what you are doing. You should probably try demo version of Reason 2.5 and Cubase to see if you are comfortable with em. I good sound source is critical(either Reason, Triton, Motif, Vsti's: any combination). You will need a controller keyboard(either one with onboard sound or one with none). If you are the type who need a pad instead of a keyboard to pound on get a MPC1000(sampler also) or MPD16(good for Reason and other Vsti's, plus Triton, Motif, etc. but no sampler).

My bad if this feels jumbled, cause I gettin ready to go out, and I just saw this post. But try out the demos of Reason and Cubase and see if you think it is efficient enough for you.

Everytime I look through these forums, I see more people from South Florida than anywhere else. :D

Like Ralph said try the demos, Reason is a cool program with a few good Refills. I prefer pads instead of keyboard for drums, plus I like the Rewire feature. I don't know if Cubase supports Rewire, I have a few sound modules, more sounds and flexibility. You don't need a Trition to control midi modules, although if you're gonna use the sounds from it too.

www.MixlineEnt.com

this is some advice learned from years of experience but at the same time i can only speak for myself so you decide if i'm talking **** or not....

Do the research, buy the item you think is most neccesary, bare essentials, to get you going. Learn the crap out of that tool, beit hardware or software, until you can use the thing in your sleep. Then get something else and do the same.

A friend of mine spent R112 000 ($11 000ish at the time ) on a studio setup including amps, mixers, synths, sequencers, software, you name it. He then sat in his new studio for three weeks slowly approaching the point of madness because it was all to much to work out at one time.

I reccomend starting with a prog like reason because its one tool and a very powerful one at that.

my peac

Back