home studio

W

who_who9825

if i were to build a home studio on a budget of $500 wats da best equipment i can get? or is dis impossible?

Hey

In my opinion a home studio is when someone actually goes thru and builds a booth and gets the proper equipment ect...Im not saying top of the line but u kno...ne ways to my point i have a "studio setup" no where near pro but it works for now..If you want to you can get on ebay buy things you would need but figure out what u want first..cuz you dont want to get something thats useless..Here is a link to my music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL-JgdyluBQ

I use a half ass booth i made from a closet i make the beats with fruity loops studio and record with adobe audition 3..As far as equipment i just have a usb studio condenser mic studio headphones and a computer..

I use a half ass booth i made from a closet i make the beats with fruity loops studio and record with adobe audition 3..As far as equipment i just have a usb studio condenser mic studio headphones and a computer..

lol doin exactly the same; fl, usb mic, adobe audition 3.0 and studioheadphones... its a good start for a very low budget but don't expect much.

if i were to build a home studio on a budget of $500 wats da best equipment i can get? or is dis impossible?

Man, your gonna need a much bigger budget than that if you want near average quality results.

What equipment do you already have?

For a very basic studio, I would look to buying items in this order:
1. Good PC/Laptop with a good multi-core processor + lots of RAM
2. DAW Software ( Pro Tools, FL Studio, Cubase, Logic etc..)
3. USB Interface (If you get a Mbox mini, you get pro-tools with it)
4. Reference Headphones/ Studio Monitors (Headphones being the cheaper option)
5. Decent quality microphone

Lets say... $700 for pc, $350 for mbox+pro tools, headphones $120, microphone $110. Thats already $1280.00...
I know theres other stuff I left out of this budget as well, like cables, mic stand, and etc...

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

To give you another idea,
Here is a pic of my setup.
Its pretty basic.
imag0057u.jpg

- Yamaha HS80m Monitors ($700)
- Auralex MoPads ($40)
- Bose Tri-Port Headphones ($120)
- Axiom 49 Midi ($329)
- Custom Built PC (Win7, 1.8 Dual Core, 4 GB Ram) ($1100)
- 22in Asus, and 20in Dell Monitors ($400)
- Mbox Mini 3rd Gen with pro tools ($300, price checked)
- I have been renting a $150 Mic for $10 a month at this audio hardware shop in my town.

Thats about $2989.00.

The next step is to acoustically treat my room, which im budget about $400. Some of the things in my setup you dont need.

Last edited:
i have the same problem but i have a $800 dollar budget....i have a pretty decent cpu with a amd phenom x3 8450 triple-core processor, 4096 mb of memory and 640 gb of hard drive space(am i good with that cpu) and a regular hp cpu with standard memory and hard drive space that i plan on using for the studio, and i have m-audio studio pro 3 monitors......My plans is to upgrade monitors and obtain an audio interface(should i go firewire or usb, need to kno which would be best)...i also want to grab more things to improve sound quality because i have fluent knowledge on mixing, i want to turn the garage into a studio....i want to treat it for sound and i also want to place a custom built booth in there anyway.......im looking to start spending money at the begining of the month but im looking for advice and a place to start

Firewire is better because it transmits data faster. Although (still has my head scratching..) the new mbox interface from avid are usb 2.0??? I would think they would have made these firewire too... I have worked with the digi 003 and it is firewire.
You should think about how many audio inputs/outputs you are gonna need for your studio, and then do some more research on which audio interface will suit your studio.

o ok cool....so your saying audio inputs/outputs meaning monitors,keyboard, etc if so i would only need the monitors im looking to get, a midi keyboard,and a mixer(maybe, need opinions on those also)

woow great i do the same and its working. but i just started so am still working on my adobe skills. its new to me.

FireWire was a brilliant protocol - unfortunately it's one that receives very little support and is now practically redundant. Stick to USB2 for now. You'll have much fewer problems.

All you need to start of at decent level is a computer/laptop which you probably have already. An audio interface, you can get a good focusrite one for about $100.00- $150 on Amazon. A mic powered through your interface not usb. I use Mxl 770 condenser mic, they cost about $100.00. Other than that you'll need some headphones and a few other smaller things such as cables etc. then as time goes on you can go and buy the relevant speakers.

Back