Here's My Studio. What do you think?

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
Here's where I work on most of my tracks. I have one audio/midi keyboard, one midi keyboard, an Akai MPD 26 for changing the midi keyboard note's frequency/effects (for the new era of music!), two studio monitors, and a 4 track AVID mbox pro audio interface, ...oh and the MacBook air with two processors to create music on FL Studio.

All I'm really missing is a good condenser microphone, and just various instruments like trumpets and stuff. Are the sound foam things really necessary? Do they even work?

Epsilon-144 Studio.JPG

What kind of studio are you guys working with? Do you have any advice. Check out my songs in the link through my signature. Thanks! :)

Yeah, your mixes will be even better (as will your listening experience), if you do a little room treatment (and keep your monitor area clear).

GJ

Yes, "decoupled" would be good too (so you're not hearing table when you want to hear speaker). But you've also got some dangly stuff hanging off the speaker that has to be less than optimal for your imaging situation.

The type of foam you get in boxes from a place like GC is good for cutting down high-end reflections and some flutter echoey issues (if you have places in the room that sound "sproingy," like your sound is being run through an over-active spring reverb). But you should also look into bass traps and maybe some furniture items with a little mass and irregular surfaces (like a bookshelf with a bunch of different size books) that can act as a diffuser. This will get your room closer to neutral so you can really hear what's going on in your monitors and not have to use headphones for critical listening all the time.

Here's a few pix of The Sonic Vault: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/98397575@N07/page12

I checked out "For God." Very cool! Just the way I like that sort of thing; perfect blend of electronic weirdness, sweet but quirky harmonies, and funky groove. Sounds great...

GJ

Last edited:
Yes, "decoupled" would be good too (so you're not hearing table when you want to hear speaker). But you've also got some dangly stuff hanging off the speaker that has to be less than optimal for your imaging situation.

The type of foam you get in boxes from a place like GC is good for cutting down high-end reflections and some flutter echoey issues (if you have places in the room that sound "sproingy," like your sound is being run through an over-active spring reverb). But you should also look into bass traps and maybe some furniture items with a little mass and irregular surfaces (like a bookshelf with a bunch of different size books) that can act as a diffuser. This will get your room closer to neutral so you can really hear what's going on in your monitors and not have to use headphones for critical listening all the time.

Here's a few pix of The Sonic Vault: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/98397575@N07/page12

I checked out "For God." Very cool! Just the way I like that sort of thing; perfect blend of electronic weirdness, sweet but quirky harmonies, and funky groove. Sounds great...

GJ

Alright thanks! The dangly thing is my ol' Record Label, but I'm looking to start a fresh new one. What's the sonic vault? Is that where you produce? It a lot of the old hardware equipment, but looks really fun!

And thank you for the song compliment, I appreciate that a lot.

Last edited:
Yes, my studio is called The Sonic Vault. And yes, I am an advocate of vintage and modern hardware solutions, but not to the exclusion of what's available today in the digital realm as well. Both have their places and their uses.

Yeah, again, very cool, keep up the good work!

GJ

Yes, my studio is called The Sonic Vault. And yes, I am an advocate of vintage and modern hardware solutions, but not to the exclusion of what's available today in the digital realm as well. Both have their places and their uses.

Yeah, again, very cool, keep up the good work!

GJ

AWESOME! haha that looks so cool. And thanks, will do.

Yup, you can just get rubber/foam pads that basically stop the table from vibrating together with your speakers. Thus, "decoupling".

The type of foam you get in boxes from a place like GC is good for cutting down high-end reflections and some flutter echoey issues (if you have places in the room that sound "sproingy," like your sound is being run through an over-active spring reverb).

I think the important thing here is that just getting some foam is next to useless - 90% of the problems in a random home studio room come from the low end, which is also the hardest to get under control. Basically there's no such thing as having too much bass traps. The high end is rather trivial after the lows have been dealt with.

>>>>. Basically there's no such thing as having too much bass traps.<<<<

Sure, absolutely. The point I was trying to make is that due to space considerations and budget, sometimes bass traps can be prohibitive (but still necessary). The same function can be applied by utilizing other objects with mass in the room, specifically corners. Bass can only be controlled with mass (or mass and air, if you have the space, time, budget, and inclination to build walls within walls). A corner hutch, a fat couch, love seat, or comfy chair, or bean bag chairs can sometimes suffice. Likewise, if a diffuser is too expensive, or you're just not craftily inclined to make one, a big bookcase can sometimes work almost as well. But to reiterate, foam alone won't do it (but it does depend on your room, because some _do_ have issues with high-end reflection, echoes, and smearing); and, that foam needs to be placed in specific locations, after properly testing your room and taking into account your listening position, not just placing tiles on the wall randomly.

GJ

Stay away from the legal system. Alcohol and/or drugs does nothing for creativity contrary to popular culture's mythologizing.

Here's where I work on most of my tracks. I have one audio/midi keyboard, one midi keyboard, an Akai MPD 26 for changing the midi keyboard note's frequency/effects (for the new era of music!), two studio monitors, and a 4 track AVID mbox pro audio interface, ...oh and the MacBook air with two processors to create music on FL Studio.

All I'm really missing is a good condenser microphone, and just various instruments like trumpets and stuff. Are the sound foam things really necessary? Do they even work?

View attachment 45765

What kind of studio are you guys working with? Do you have any advice. Check out my songs in the link through my signature. Thanks! :)
This keyboard with large keys, it's semi-weighted or weighted keys? You play piano? If yes, I would consider to buy a full weighted keyboard with 88-keys. About monitors these are Rokit? In the future you can improve it with Vxt ones. I like the ambient, very cool!

I use the acoustic tiles on the walls and bass traps (for the corners) and they help a lot both for recording and mixing. I also have some blanket wall coverings and throw rugs that I position strategically for acoustic recording sessions. WRT to the condenser mic, I went with the MXL 770 which didn't kill my budget and really makes a big difference in recording vocals, but you need 48V Fantom power (which I have on the Mackie Mix12) for the best results.
Desk Wall Acoustic Treatment.JPGAcoustic Wall Tiles.JPGMXL Mic Pic 2.jpg

I'm looking for a condenser mic next. So is the MXL 770 worth it? I'll check it out online. And I'll have to see if my AVID mbox pro can handle it. It's an old interface. Thanks and cool studio! Its look awesome and like a lot of fun!!

Mxl 770

I'm looking for a condenser mic next. So is the MXL 770 worth it? I'll check it out online. And I'll have to see if my AVID mbox pro can handle it. It's an old interface. Thanks and cool studio! Its look awesome and like a lot of fun!!

I think the MXL 770 is totally worth the $85 on Amazon. It's super sensitive which is why I have the isolation shield behind it on the mic stand. Even if you don't have the 48V Fantom power on, it still is picking up at 15V. Electronics are built-in and it has a couple of switch settings for bass roll-off and -10dB as you desire. I've used it for both male and female vocalists and it produces a great, high quality dry track for you to work with and apply FX. You really need a condenser mic for recording as the dynamic mics (I have a Shure SM-58 and some others) are best for performing.

Back