Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's My Studio. What do you think?

Thanks

Here's My Studio. What do you think?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Here's where I work on most of my tracks. I have one audio/midi keyboard, one midi keyboard, an Akai MPD 26 for changing the midi keyboard note's frequency/effects (for the new era of music!), two studio monitors, and a 4 track AVID mbox pro audio interface, ...oh and the MacBook air with two processors to create music on FL Studio.

All I'm really missing is a good condenser microphone, and just various instruments like trumpets and stuff. Are the sound foam things really necessary? Do they even work?

epsilon-144-studio-jpg

What kind of studio are you guys working with? Do you have any advice. Check out my songs in the link through my signature. Thanks!

Thanks
    Yeah, your mixes will be even better (as will your listening experience), if you do a little room treatment (and keep your monitor area clear).

GJ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythmgj View Post
    Yeah, your mixes will be even better (as will your listening experience), if you do a little room treatment (and keep your monitor area clear).

GJ
    So with like raised monitors? I'll look into it. haha thanks!

Thanks
    Yes, "decoupled" would be good too (so you're not hearing table when you want to hear speaker). But you've also got some dangly stuff hanging off the speaker that has to be less than optimal for your imaging situation.

The type of foam you get in boxes from a place like GC is good for cutting down high-end reflections and some flutter echoey issues (if you have places in the room that sound "sproingy," like your sound is being run through an over-active spring reverb). But you should also look into bass traps and maybe some furniture items with a little mass and irregular surfaces (like a bookshelf with a bunch of different size books) that can act as a diffuser. This will get your room closer to neutral so you can really hear what's going on in your monitors and not have to use headphones for critical listening all the time.

Here's a few pix of The Sonic Vault: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/98397575@N07/page12

I checked out "For God." Very cool! Just the way I like that sort of thing; perfect blend of electronic weirdness, sweet but quirky harmonies, and funky groove. Sounds great...

GJ
    Last edited by rhythmgj; 01-29-2017 at 12:52 AM. Reason: ...

Thanks
    Yes, "decoupled" would be good too (so you're not hearing table when you want to hear speaker). But you've also got some dangly stuff hanging off the speaker that has to be less than optimal for your imaging situation.

The type of foam you get in boxes from a place like GC is good for cutting down high-end reflections and some flutter echoey issues (if you have places in the room that sound "sproingy," like your sound is being run through an over-active spring reverb). But you should also look into bass traps and maybe some furniture items with a little mass and irregular surfaces (like a bookshelf with a bunch of different size books) that can act as a diffuser. This will get your room closer to neutral so you can really hear what's going on in your monitors and not have to use headphones for critical listening all the time.

Here's a few pix of The Sonic Vault: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/98397575@N07/page12

I checked out "For God." Very cool! Just the way I like that sort of thing; perfect blend of electronic weirdness, sweet but quirky harmonies, and funky groove. Sounds great...

GJ
    Alright thanks! The dangly thing is my ol' Record Label, but I'm looking to start a fresh new one. What's the sonic vault? Is that where you produce? It a lot of the old hardware equipment, but looks really fun!

And thank you for the song compliment, I appreciate that a lot.
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 01-29-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks
    Yes, my studio is called The Sonic Vault. And yes, I am an advocate of vintage and modern hardware solutions, but not to the exclusion of what's available today in the digital realm as well. Both have their places and their uses.

Yeah, again, very cool, keep up the good work!

GJ

Thanks
    Yes, my studio is called The Sonic Vault. And yes, I am an advocate of vintage and modern hardware solutions, but not to the exclusion of what's available today in the digital realm as well. Both have their places and their uses.

Yeah, again, very cool, keep up the good work!

GJ
    AWESOME! haha that looks so cool. And thanks, will do.

Thanks
    Yup, you can just get rubber/foam pads that basically stop the table from vibrating together with your speakers. Thus, "decoupling".

The type of foam you get in boxes from a place like GC is good for cutting down high-end reflections and some flutter echoey issues (if you have places in the room that sound "sproingy," like your sound is being run through an over-active spring reverb).
    I think the important thing here is that just getting some foam is next to useless - 90% of the problems in a random home studio room come from the low end, which is also the hardest to get under control. Basically there's no such thing as having too much bass traps. The high end is rather trivial after the lows have been dealt with.
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thanks
    >>>>. Basically there's no such thing as having too much bass traps.<<<<

Sure, absolutely. The point I was trying to make is that due to space considerations and budget, sometimes bass traps can be prohibitive (but still necessary). The same function can be applied by utilizing other objects with mass in the room, specifically corners. Bass can only be controlled with mass (or mass and air, if you have the space, time, budget, and inclination to build walls within walls). A corner hutch, a fat couch, love seat, or comfy chair, or bean bag chairs can sometimes suffice. Likewise, if a diffuser is too expensive, or you're just not craftily inclined to make one, a big bookcase can sometimes work almost as well. But to reiterate, foam alone won't do it (but it does depend on your room, because some _do_ have issues with high-end reflection, echoes, and smearing); and, that foam needs to be placed in specific locations, after properly testing your room and taking into account your listening position, not just placing tiles on the wall randomly.

GJ

Thanks
    Way, way too clean. Needs some empty Redbull cans sitting around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri Shostakovich
    A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.

Thread Information