Help with treating room: OC703 Fiberglass or Auralex

What is better to treat room and reverb

• Auralex

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • OC703 Fiberglass

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Prodigix

Okay so I tried to use my closet as a vocal booth but the guys here at gearslutz said that that is not a very good idea and that I should use my entire room. I moved from my closet and now I am trying to treat my entire room (bedroom) but my room as a lot of reverb in it. My question is, what is better to treat my room and at the same time, get rid of the reverb, should I use oc703 fiberglass or auralex.

For acoustical (vocal) purposes, I'd recommend foam rather than fiberglass, because fiberglass is usually more ideal to treat a live room rather than vocals. So in this case I'd go with the auralex foam, and make sure you cover a good portion since you are recording vocals and you don't want any reverb/echo.

For acoustical (vocal) purposes, I'd recommend foam rather than fiberglass, because fiberglass is usually more ideal to treat a live room rather than vocals. So in this case I'd go with the auralex foam, and make sure you cover a good portion since you are recording vocals and you don't want any reverb/echo.

Why is fiberglass more ideal to treat a live room than a vocal booth? I'll disagree here - fiberglass is a more broadband absorber than foam which means you'll get absorption down to bass frequencies, where you'd only get to high mids with foam. For any recording situation, be it a live room or not, you need control to as low as you can pending what you're recording. I would recommend not recording in the closet though, but I already responded to your post at Gearslutz OP.

Fiberglass is better for lower frequency absorption, but foam is the cheaper option and easier method. Many other recording artists also use foam for vocal booths as it kills reverberation. Foam does not reflect any sound while the flat fiberglass tends to reflect some sound which why I said may be better for a live room.

Fiberglass is better for lower frequency absorption, but foam is the cheaper option and easier method. Many other recording artists also use foam for vocal booths as it kills reverberation. Foam does not reflect any sound while the flat fiberglass tends to reflect some sound which why I said may be better for a live room.

Foam isn't really cheaper..
Auralex 2" Studiofoam Wedgies (1'x1' 24-pack, Charcoal) | Sweetwater.com
^ $110 for 24 sq feet
We sell 48 square feet of rigid fiberglass for cheaper than that. So twice as much fiberglass, and still paying less. (Not trying to sell our product btw - check other competitors too - still cheaper than foam)
I know not all foam companies charge as much as Auralex but really the price difference isn't huge - and fiberglass is still usually cheaper. Also factor in that the studio foam is only 2" thick at the peak, so really averaged out its only 1" to 1.25" thick.

Contrary to popular belief - not many pro studios use foam in vocal booths - and I'm not quite sure where this idea started. Professional designers hardly design rooms with foam. It kills reverberation yes, but leaves muddy low end from standing waves intact, so you still won't end up with a treated room. Getting down to lower frequencies with fiberglass or mineral wool would be a much better option. Also, a professional vocal booth is typically bigger than most people's bedrooms, let alone closets!

BTW - the flat nature of fiberglass plus the bonding agents does make it seem like it is reflective, but it really hardly is reflective at all. For a live room, diffusion or covering absorption with slats would keep the room live. Fiberglass itself doesn't tend to help keep a room more live.

Last edited:
Well I won't argue with you, but I do recall that auralex isn't the only foam distributor. So you can find many different types and costs of foam. I personally think that you should have both fiberglass and foam. I should have said that earlier. But the point I was trying to get across was that you tend to want to go for a "deader" space if you're recording vocals, rather than a more echoed sound.

I have also seen numerous professional recording studios around the Midwest with predominantly foam for absorption. I'm definitely not an expert, but I DO know what I'm talking about. Also if possible, I'd recommend calling an expert over and checking out your space to recommend the type and placement of your treatment.

Foam isn't really cheaper..
Auralex 2" Studiofoam Wedgies (1'x1' 24-pack, Charcoal) | Sweetwater.com
^ $110 for 24 sq feet
We sell 48 square feet of rigid fiberglass for cheaper than that. So twice as much fiberglass, and still paying less. (Not trying to sell our product btw - check other competitors too - still cheaper than foam)
I know not all foam companies charge as much as Auralex but really the price difference isn't huge - and fiberglass is still usually cheaper. Also factor in that the studio foam is only 2" thick at the peak, so really averaged out its only 1" to 1.25" thick.

Contrary to popular belief - not many pro studios use foam in vocal booths - and I'm not quite sure where this idea started. Professional designers hardly design rooms with foam. It kills reverberation yes, but leaves muddy low end from standing waves intact, so you still won't end up with a treated room. Getting down to lower frequencies with fiberglass or mineral wool would be a much better option. Also, a professional vocal booth is typically bigger than most people's bedrooms, let alone closets!

BTW - the flat nature of fiberglass plus the bonding agents does make it seem like it is reflective, but it really hardly is reflective at all. For a live room, diffusion or covering absorption with slats would keep the room live. Fiberglass itself doesn't tend to help keep a room more live.

The main problem with my room is flutter sound, its harsh and I can hear it when I clap. Can the fiberglass get rid of that because I am leaning more towards the fiberglass now.

absolutely, but make sure you have enough to cover at least 30% of your room or until the flutter echo is gone

absolutely, but make sure you have enough to cover at least 30% of your room or until the flutter echo is gone

Yes exactly. Foam or fiberglass will work for flutter echo. 20-30% is usually a suggested figure for the absorption of it. (you needn't fix any in the lower half of the room as objects will scatter the sound. If it is a bit open in the back though, you can put some a bit lower)

Yes exactly. Foam or fiberglass will work for flutter echo. 20-30% is usually a suggested figure for the absorption of it. (you needn't fix any in the lower half of the room as objects will scatter the sound. If it is a bit open in the back though, you can put some a bit lower)

Will 6 OC703 2inch fiber glass panels work. And you remember the space in my room right?

May I recommend a fiberglass/miner wool DIY? If so I'd recommend the [h=1]Roxul Rockboard 60, Mineral Wool Board, 2 Inch (6PK) located at ats acoustics OR get Owens Corning 703 (2 inch) at GIK acoustics[/h]

Back