Help Starting a HomeStudio......

P

Prophet2Profit

How is everyone....Can anyone start me on a path to somewhere.....

I need a soundcard so I can use a good studio mic on my PC, I was thinkin either tha LAYLA3G or tha GINA3G..But I'm not sure if tha Layla is to big...

I'm a rookie at all this production ****, but decided to start tryin because I need my music to sound better,(I write).....

Basically I wanted to build my studio using as much computer programs as possible & as few actual peices of real equipment as possible.....

What would be your advice on what I need to get started as in programs & sound card, to have a good set up to produce good beats & record high quality vocals....just so I can make complete high quality songs for a good reasonable price...What should I get??????.....

You can get me on yahoo IM@ Str8Prophet heres my music so you can get a feel.... www.soundclick.com/mmm602akaprophet

thank friends.....

well first of all, since youre looking to go almost completely software you wont need tons of inputs like the layla has. the gina should be fine but you might not even need that many inputs. look into the maudio audiophile or the emu 0404. im assuming youll be recording vocals and youll be using a condenser so youll need a preamp. something like a presonus tubepre, or if you have more money to drop, a eureka.

as far as programs, download the demos for fl studio and reason, try them out see which one you like best and get it. youll also need some kind of midi controller. you can get a good 2 or 3 octave keyboard/midi controller for less than $200 (maudio oxygen or edirol pcr-30).

and if youre like almost everyone else on this site youll want to sample some stuff so youll need soundforge and a multitracker. theres plenty of free multitrackers, a good one (that ive actually used) is kristal. if you need vst(i)'s, however, youll need to buy something like cubase or sonar.

if you want to go the pt route an mbox would work fine but youd need a separate midi interface since the mbox doesnt come with midi. i suggest getting a preamp since ive heard that the preamps on the mbox arent exactly incredible.

other than that look into getting some free vst(i)'s and samples from various websites.

that should hold you out for now. later on id look into a better preamp (something in the $1000 range), a better mic (rode, akg, audio-technica, neumann, blue and shure all make good mics),upgrades for your computer (more ram, more hard drives, new cpu, etc.) and more software (effects plugins, vst(i)'s, etc.).

hollip3020 could you please give me your aim name i need to speak to you m8.

Hollip3020,

WOW, Impressive.....This was just awesome for you to do for me....Thank you.......

I wanted 2 ask if I should just go with tha GINA3G, just in case I might need tha inputs, or will I just not need them period....

Whats a good condenser to get for my needs......

Also,

Does tha (Gina3G) come with mic preamp built in......

If so do I need tha seperate preamp's you mentioned above....

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just tryin to figure this all out....

Youngin pm me.

Prophet2Profit what you have to look at is really how many things youll be recording *at once*. if youre only going to be recording one mic or one instrument at a time youre only going to need (you guessed it) one input. if youre planning on recording from more than one source at once youll need more inputs.

yes the gina3g does come with preamps, id assume theyre fairly good, but i would also buy an outboard preamp (one of the ones i mentioned) later on (if you dont have the money now).

as far as the mic, the most recommended mic on this forum is the rode nt1a. many people also like the studio projects c1. youll find those and many others in the $200-500 range that will be perfect for your needs.

Back