Headphones, Monitors, or Normal Speaker mixing?

K

kid848

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this since the "Mixing" thread seems geared toward DJs but...

I mix normally with 2.1 speakers- it's really a 5.1 system but I only have a left, a right, and a subwoofer hooked up. When I mix, everything sounds tight, etc. But the other day I went over a friends house to let him listen to my stuff and everything sounded flat. Now he has $500 Alessis (sp?) studio monitors, but I'm not sure exactly what the problem is.

I'm in a college dorm room, and space is limited, so my question is should I wait and get some good monitors or do I need to do something special to my speaker settings (I have an Audigy 2 soundcard) or will a good pair of studio headphone do the trick. If headphones will do it, could you give me a few recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Dont worry about it sounding flat on his alesis studio monitors, thats what they are supposed to sound like. To an extent that is.

Mixing on home surround sound speakers didnt help much either. I recommend you save up some money and get some decent studio monitors.

hope this helps.

Back