Headphones Help, (Killing me)

Young City

Ok i need some help with my headphones and how to work this out.

When i record i have to unplug the speakers from the back of the pc and plug in my headphones , and i never listen to the results on headphones ( as yall know u should never ever do that) so i have to go to the back again and unplug the headphones and plug in the speakers, now my question is, is there any adapter or program or something that i can buy so i can save the time and hustle having to keep unpluggin one and pluggin in the other and vice versa.

There has to be an adapter or a program or something that with a simple click makes you choose where u want the sound to go to, speakers or headphones.

Thanx

yeah you can get a basic jack splitter with one male & two female outs for a couple of quid/ dollars. So then you just leave 'em both plugged in all rthe time.

like this

http://www.pccables.com/05011.htm

05011.jpg

:)

MM

Last edited:
ok thanx so much!! but now when i record and i only want the sound to come from my speakers or headphones wat do i do?
Does it come with a program that lets you do choose or is the sound gonna come from both headphones and speakers?

Young City said:
Does it come with a program that lets you do choose or is the sound gonna come from both headphones and speakers?
Umm, do your speakers have a volume knob? Presumably you can just turn off the speakers when you don't want to use them and the headphones will be unaffected.

thats what i do. very simple.

speaking of headphones, mine just burnt out and im looking for a new pair under $100. i have my eyes on the direct sound extreme isolation headphones because i need them to monitor the rest of my band while playing/recording drums. i also need something that will be comfortable enough for everyday use.

Last edited:
check out Sennheiser's HD-280..

i got a pair for djing.. the isolations and sound quaility is quite nice

PC speaker or Monitors? I assume PC multimedia speakers, since you said, "the back of my computer". So, yeah for those PC speaker single 1/8 plugs, or single 1/4 plugs, the splitter is fine. If you're using more that one 1/8-1/4 plug for your setup, or studio monitors though, don't get the splitter. Splitters are usually mono, and you'll end up with better results listening through stereo headphones, rather than mono speakers. So, that's not really an improvement.

Look into into an headphone amplifier instead. Most of these can drive headphones, and consumer speakers, even different mixes at the same time. They run around $67 on up. The $99 range can yield good products. Get something more powerful if you're driving passive monitors though.

Hello,

Correct me if I am wrong but I beleive if you use that splitter, it will feed a mono signal to the left 1/4 out and the right 1/4 out. If thats the case then you will only hear a mono signal out of your speakers and headphones respectively.

And I hope your not using that OEM sound card for recording and stuff.

I suggest you save up and buy a mixer and a good sound card. You dont have to buy everything at once, get a little at a time. You can get a Mackie for about $300 and a sound card for about $300. I would do that instead of rigging up Y-splitters and junk.

And dont let any retard on here tell you "Oh you dont need an expensive sound card!!!"... "get this $29 sound card and you'll be fine"
Horse sh*t, you need a good sound card if you want quality sounds. YES!!! even on demos it has to be super high quality, labels want to hear finished products, not what it might sound like if you had better equipment. They dont want to hear of that you need to re-record the whole track in a studio. They dont like to advance money for studio bills. They want something that is finished and marketable.

CubaseRox said:
Hello,

Correct me if I am wrong but I beleive if you use that splitter, it will feed a mono signal to the left 1/4 out and the right 1/4 out. If thats the case then you will only hear a mono signal out of your speakers and headphones respectively.

Yep, that's what I said.

As for the rest, yeah, people frown upon consumer cards here, for the most part (so it seems), and rightfully so.

i have a 1/8" Y-splitter and it runs stereo to both my speakers and my headphones (yes im using comp speakers)

Yo Hollip, if you still have the package, or know, can you tell me how those are internally wired? I'm trying to make a hybrid cable for something.

Yea i used to have that problem...but then the speakers stopped working so i had to buy new ones.

Whoever wanted headphones for under $100, I recommend the sennheisser 280s as well. I have two pairs, in studio and when I'm backpacking.

As for the splitter, there is a y splitter that will send both l/r signals out. I'm pretty sure. You just have to find em. If not, get a headphone mixer.

i dont know what the internal wiring is for the splitter. i bought it and it works, thats all i care. but id assume each wire (left, right, and ground) are just split to each one. what kind of hybird are you trying to do? i could ask my friend (hes an electrical engineer with experience making hybrids) about it.

I'm trying to make a head of a gold female XLR cable, by attaching a gullomont (dime sized, like the back of the XLR) bed to it, which has 8 core contact points....I want to run 4 sets of 2 wire wiring, out to 4 1/4 TRS balanced male output heads, each 1 of the four pushing stereo signals.

I'm experimenting with a vintage machine, if you're wondering.

do you have a picture of a gullomont? both my friend and i dont know what a gullomont is or does and a google search came up with guillemot kayaks. is there any special reason you want to use it? if youre basically just trying to split the signal you could just connect each sleeve, tip, and ring from the 1/4" connecters to the 1, 2 and 3 pins of the XLR, respectively.

Back