Got some monitors but no booth...please help!

josey_wales

Hello all,

I just bought some Event TR-8 monitors

My setup is like this:

ASR-X out ---> in Mackie 1202 out ---> in Emu 1212 on my PC

Emu 1212 out ---> straight to monitors

I record with Sonar and when I was using my receiver with regular speakers, i would just turn off the speakers and use the headphones to hear the beat while I record my vocals (Studio Projects C1 plugged into the Mackie). So now I'm using the monitors and I'm not sure what's the best way to silence the beat while I record if I have no booth. The Emu 1212 doesnt have extra outs to plug in headphones while the monitors are silenced. Right now I'm unplugging one monitor and plugging in headphones to hear the beat while I record and it is rather cumbersome. I know I need to rearranged my setup but I need a little advice.

thanks in advance

Send an aux mix to the headphone out of the computer's built-in card.

[EDIT]

Ooops - That's a PCI unit... Well, if it's your only interface, you're going to need a different interface or perhaps a headphone amp with a S/PDIF in.

Last edited by a moderator:
MASSIVE Mastering said:
Send an aux mix to the headphone out of the computer's built-in card.

[EDIT]

Ooops - That's a PCI unit... Well, if it's your only interface, you're going to need a different interface or perhaps a headphone amp with a S/PDIF in.

Thanks alot! That makes sense. I was looking for ways to use to S/PDIF for headphones. Are there are any headphone amps or even another PCI sound card that you would suggest? Also, I know the Studio Projects C1 straight to the Mackie 1202 is probably not enough for my vocals. Would you suggest upgrading the Mackie or investing in an RE20 mic if I only had one choice?? thanks again!!

You dont need anything more than you have (but I would get the RE20 if you can) Here's what I would do...
have your mic going into the Mackie 1202 through channel 1,
have your EMU 1212 output going into the Mackie into one of the stereo channels,
Have your aux 1 send going into your EMU 1212 input,
Headphones plugged into the headphone jack on the Mackie,
Monitors plugged into the main outputs.

When you are recording 1st adjust the trim of your channel, turn the gain (main output) all the way down so nothing is coming out of the mains. Then turn up the aux 1 send on the channel so it routes the sound to the aux out. You can then turn the output from the EMU up so it goes out the mains. For when you record you can turn the master output down so nothing is coming out of the monitors and turn the control room/headphones volume up (make sure you have it assigned to main mix)

Hope this makes sense.

[EDIT]
When recording the aux send should be at unity. You should adjust the trim after you have it at unity so you aren't messing around with your gain staging.

Last edited:
ok cool!!! I'm going to try that out when I get home and get back to you. thanks alot!!

rabblerouser said:
You dont need anything more than you have (but I would get the RE20 if you can) Here's what I would do...
have your mic going into the Mackie 1202 through channel 1,
have your EMU 1212 output going into the Mackie into one of the stereo channels,
Have your aux 1 send going into your EMU 1212 input,
Headphones plugged into the headphone jack on the Mackie,
Monitors plugged into the main outputs.

When you are recording 1st adjust the trim of your channel, turn the gain (main output) all the way down so nothing is coming out of the mains. Then turn up the aux 1 send on the channel so it routes the sound to the aux out. You can then turn the output from the EMU up so it goes out the mains. For when you record you can turn the master output down so nothing is coming out of the monitors and turn the control room/headphones volume up (make sure you have it assigned to main mix)

Hope this makes sense.

[EDIT]
When recording the aux send should be at unity. You should adjust the trim after you have it at unity so you aren't messing around with your gain staging.

the way I had mine set up was:
-soundcard out > tape in
-mackie ALT output > soundcard in
tape out > monitors
.. push down "assign to main mix", "tape", and "alt 3-4"
now just mute the tracks you want recorded.

Back