Good studio speakers?

There are many but only a few

There are many studio monitors that you can shop for that are well under $250 dollars, its just all about choosing speakers that are going to benefit your music. When it comes to buying studio equipment of any kind, the saying "You get what you pay for," holds true. You have to be careful when wanting to spend cheaply on studio equipment, especially if you are serious about your work. But at the same time, not everyone can afford to purchase $2000 studio speakers either. So with that being said, $250 isn't a bad starting point when buying home studio speakers.

There is a review on studio speakers under $250 you can check on, you might find it useful.

I don't know the exact prices but you might want to check out KRK's cheaper sets, I personally think that's gonna get you the most bang for your buck. Also, be aware of active and passive monitors, I almost fooled myself once. Active speakers are going to be more expensive but don't require an external amp.

But it's alot easier to get a decent external Amp($150) and a pair of decent speakers($100)than it's going to be to find it all packaged together into a "powered monitor".

There is NO powered monitors on the market at that price that are worth spit. That's a good haul(120W Amp and some 8-12" Vintage 3-Way Speakers once retailing for 3x as much and still used in older studios)from a pawnshop though.

Other than that, Mackie MR8s are $400(used to be 700-800)that's the cheapest powered monitors I think are worth the money. RP5s can't keep up, because at $300 for them, you may as well save up another hundred and get the MR8s. That Pawn shop option I offered is JUST AS GOOD AS THE MR8s.

if it's possible for you i would personally hold off on the purchase and save more money. at least 750.. i always regretted buying monitors in that price range, they just don't give back the frequencies like i would need them too. i'm assuming you have somewhat decent headphones here

Well, as far as overall sound quality I would recommend the JBL LSR305 speakers. The Yamaha HS5s are good, but there isn't enough low end, and then the KRK Rokits have a little too much low end. All of them around your price range, but I say up it another $50-$100.

My best mate uses KRK Rokits - they're good.
I use Yamaha HS-7's - they're good too.
I tried the HS-5's in store and found them lacking bass extension. They'd need a sub even in a small room. The HS-7's knock.
JBL LSR's get a lot of love in various forums - not tried them myself but that many people can't all be wrong.

KRK 8s is what I use and I would recommend those over the smaller KRK monitors like the 6 inch and 4 inch speakers only because the 8s throw a full spectrum of sound at you with its 3way speaker set-up. With the smaller ones, you gonna have to buy their 10inch bass cab for some low end and thats more money to spend.

i sport the elesis elevate 5's, they are my first set and i've had them for 2 years so far. they are great and almost match the sound quality to my homies yamaha hs7's, honestly best 150 ive ever spent for a set of monitors

Size matters with speakers - You gotta get at least 8" speakers, otherwise you'll need a sub. My advice would be get only one speaker first if money is too tight and use headphones or cheapo speakers for stereo mixing. Even if you upgrade one day these will still be useful to cross reference.

I personally prefer the Yamahas over the KRKs but both should be fine.

Size matters with speakers - You gotta get at least 8" speakers, otherwise you'll need a sub.

This is very dependant on the size of your room.
My room is pretty small and I'd get plenty of bass extension with 5" drivers in it... My monitors at present sit between 5" & 8" (HS-7) and there's no way I need a sub.

I have a fairly small room luckily it inst square though, I used to run Yamaha HS7 which work a treat for their price range and will work with just about any genre. I recently upgraded to the Focal Alpha 65 which are really top speakers as well little bit more expensive at around 250 each monitor but worth the while. :)

Back